S550 4.6 with p series aluminum spool

Started by franky, November 20, 2011, 11:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

I just serviced my friend's reel and he says that it performs very well except when the reels is under a lot of pressure from fighting a fish.  As he is reeling in a fish, the reel is making a scraping sound while the drag is very tight and he is cranking in on the handle while something heavy is on the other end.

If the drag is in medium setting or if it is tight but there is no weight on the other end, the reel does not have the scraping sound while cranking.

Could this scraping sound be the result of the aluminum spool flexing under heavy load thus causing the edge of the spool to scrape the inside stainless ring of the sideplate? Or is it something else?  :-\  

The space between the spool edge and the inside stainless ring is very minimal.  Would it be okay to sand down a very small amount of the inside stainless ring to allow for the flexing of the spool?

Any thoughts.....

Thanks in advance ....

Does it sound possible for the spool to flex under heavy load? Especially for the 550 reel that is quite wide?

alantani

the scraping sound is probably the spool against the inside ring.  make sure the bearings are good.  they keep the spool centered.  worst case, you may have to grind down the inside ring.  that should be your last resort.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Wild guess here!!!!!

"Frame flex" causing rght side of spool to rub frame when cranking...
Bad Ju ju with the multi piece frame reels...

Grind down the metal ring and you lose more strength = causing more flex..

Only way to stop it with heavy/full drag is to go to 1 piece frame or change reels....

Cheapest fix..   Buy a Daiwa Sealine X .............

I know, I know..  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every one loves their old Newell & Penns..  Im sure im gonna hear it.
I just dont have much faith in taking a model T to a La Mans race!!!!!

Just my Opinion...   (Alan is gonna ban me now!!!)     :-(

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

franky

Thanks folks.

I was thinking of sanding just a minimal amount of the inside ring....say 1 millimeter or so.

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on November 21, 2011, 07:57:12 PM

Only way to stop it with heavy/full drag is to go to 1 piece frame or change reels....

Cheapest fix..   Buy a Daiwa Sealine X .............

The Diawa Sealine X does not have the line capacity of the Newell 550 reel.  My friend puts 80 lb test mainline connected to 18 feet of 300 lb test runner.

I'm not sure if Tiburon makes a one piece aluminum frame for the newell 550.  I did convert two Newell 338's with the Tiburon frame....nice.

Alto Mare

To fix your problem you should do as I do. I have many many reels ..... no graphite ones ;). Graphite will twist under stress and sometimes crack on a big fish.  I never liked graphite on reels.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

I know, I know..  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every one loves their old Newell & Penns..  Im sure im gonna hear it.
I just dont have much faith in taking a model T to a La Mans race!!!!!

Just my Opinion...   (Alan is gonna ban me now!!!)     :-

Nessie, everybody is intitle to their own opinion. You didn't chose much of a reel there, I would recommend taking a Penn with you for back up, if you're going to be using that Daiwa Sealine. Just my opinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

not hardly....   ;D

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: alantani on November 21, 2011, 10:28:13 PM

not hardly....   ;D

;D

I do own and use Penns and Newells,  But always under-line them, as I fear Ill stress them. 
I know how easy it is to break one or lock em up on a big fish...
I did a lot of training on Penns mostly.
Bought them by the box full at swap meets and Ebay..
Rebuilt them and sold, auctioned at our club, or donated them..   
Got a lot of hrs inside Penns...

Reason I said Sealine is they have a one piece frame and are 'low cost'. 
I have a couple and trust them a lot.... 

If your fishing seriously, with a decent budget, there are much better options for Great reels...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

franky

Okay....okay...

This is what I've done....

I took out the spool and I saw the scrape marks on the outter edge of the spool lip on the handle side.  I very lightly dremeled with the fine stone on the outside edge of the spool then used a fine water sand paper to get it really smooth.

I reassembled the reel and it seems to have worked.  I only removed a hair's worth of material because I did not want to see a major gap between the spool and the inside stainless ring. 

I will try to test it again.  I may have to realign the frame....hopefully not.

franky

We just came back and my friend and I tested the reel.  Its all good now.  :)

alantani

Nessie Hunter

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!