Drag Grease

Started by Bulldawg, March 29, 2009, 09:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldawg

I recently upgraded my Saltiga 20 and 30T drags to Smoothies.

I used shimano drag grease. Is the cals grease better and why.

alantani

i hope you mean carbontex, not the original smoothies. 

cal's grease melts at 500 degrees and costs $25 per pound.  shimano grease melts at 300 degrees and costs $50 per pound.  as far as i know, those are the only differences.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bulldawg

Thanks Alan they were carbontex washers.

Where can I obtain Cal's grease, don't really need A pound though.

Thanks

alantani

George6308

RamseyReelRepair

Quote from: alantani on March 30, 2009, 06:36:29 PM
call dawn.  she's the lady that own's http://smoothdrag.com/price.html

Dawn will fix you up good. She has great service! Just got like 4 sets of drags from her.

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Tiddlerbasher

I've tried many greases over the years. I still like Cals - but it's very pricey in the UK. I wanted to settle on a single grease to be used on bearings and drags and everything - removing the fear of contamination from one grease to another. Over the last year or so I've been using just this one:

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/industrial-grease/4640-smith-and-allan-teflube-plus-2-grease/

It's the right consistency, stays put but cleans up ok. Drags are nice and smooth. I used to use Mercury Quicksilver 2-4-C with teflon on everything - but the price shot up - also it tended to split quite quickly - dripping oil from the grease gun. This Teflube plus does the same job but is more affordable and available locally and doesn't split so quickly.

For drags a grease containing Teflon (PTFE) is preferable. For general use a marine grade grease is required. At the end of the day something is better than nothing.
I prefer to keep things simple and predictable - 1 grease (Teflube Plus) and 1 oil (TSI321) but that's at the moment - who knows what's in the future ;)

Glos

. I wanted to settle on a single grease to be used on bearings and drags and everything - removing the fear of contamination from one grease to another.

and what are the dangers of contaminating one with another ( drag grease with gearing grease )?
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Tiddlerbasher

Some oils and greases don't 'play nicely together' it doesn't seem to be a predictable thing :-\ - chemists feel free to chime in.
For me I like to keep it simple.

Glos

yeah, thats my concern now that Ive put lithium based grease filing up the casing of my surf 8k-s
and all be it the drag washers are greased with cals drag grease from okuma factory, non carbon drag

alantani

I honestly don't worry about it too much.  If a little gets mixed up,  it's generally no big deal.

Glos

o, ok then :)
( I`ve recomended that yamaha marine grease to people here, now just the fact that it is available only online gets in our way for having it in bigger numbers )
and some other news for them, like better bearings and such, all from reading here

alantani

I still use cal's grease just for drag washers and yamaha marine grease for everything else.

foakes

Same as Alan — I just use Yamalube Marine & Cal's.

For me, on repeat jobs after a couple of years — I appreciate the way Yamaha Marine and Cal's stay in place doing their job — then wash out clean and easy with solvents.

Go through maybe 4 or 5 pounds of Cal's in a year, and about 8 or 9 (14 oz.) tubes of Yamaha Marine that I apply with a grease gun — or a flux brush with the bristles cut short.

Any grease used is likely going to be finer than nothing — the exceptions being greases that sets up hard, or greases that stick to everything — and will not wash out except with an hour of scrubbing and $5 worth of chemicals.

Just keeping it simple, effective, and with good protective performance...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RamseyReelRepair

How have yall found that Penn grease cleans out? Pretty hard? Or do solvents work pretty good on it? And just curious Fred, what is black magic?

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎