The 12/0 senator

Started by Lowprofile, February 09, 2020, 01:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: oc1 on April 05, 2021, 05:58:54 AM
 There were also stories about ruined dogs and ratchets, but never a story about rounding off a sleeve.  

I would have thought the drag would slip or you would be picked up off your feet/behind before you could put enough pressure on the handle to ruin the sleeve.  I don't doubt what you guys are saying, but the concept never came up.  Of course, this was long well before anyone heard of upgrades or after-market parts.

Basically, the Penns will not have much of a "sleeve-rounding" issue — when they are fished stock — providing the handle nut is good and tight.

Problems arise as we have upgraded and hopped up these reels — CF greased drag stacks, 7 stacks, power handles made from SS, better grip handles, etc.  When the reels are upgraded beyond their engineered target ranges — weak areas will appear.

Today, too much emphasis is on the reels and cranking and line — and unfortunately less on the rod and the rod handling techniques when fighting a large fish.

IMO, Penn is a great company with mostly products we can count on and upgrade if we wish.  Got to be doing a lot right — to stay around for 3 or 4 generations of anglers — worldwide — with a vast array of products — with many parts that are still available.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

So, just because you can does not mean you should or need to?

Gfish

Quote from: RowdyW on April 05, 2021, 02:53:05 PM
Penn has gone to a square hole in the handle for a four point contact instead of two.      Rudy

Even in the Senators?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Quote from: Gfish on April 05, 2021, 06:45:12 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on April 05, 2021, 02:53:05 PM
Penn has gone to a square hole in the handle for a four point contact instead of two.      Rudy

Even in the Senators?
Only on some of the new type designs.

RowdyW

Quote from: oc1 on April 05, 2021, 06:37:04 PM
Why not? That's what leads to better designs and or better performance. not everybody is satisfied with string & a stick to wind up their line.  ;D ;D          Rudy

oc1

Quote from: RowdyW on April 05, 2021, 08:07:10 PM
Why not? That's what leads to better designs and or better performance. not everybody is satisfied with string & a stick to wind up their line.  ;D ;D          Rudy
Then why are we still waiting for Penn to put a stainless sleeve in a Senator.

RowdyW

Quote from: oc1 on April 07, 2021, 09:47:06 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on April 05, 2021, 08:07:10 PM
Why not? That's what leads to better designs and or better performance. not everybody is satisfied with string & a stick to wind up their line.  ;D ;D          Rudy
Then why are we still waiting for Penn to put a stainless sleeve in a Senator.
The average person won't wear out a bronze sleeve. Penn is probably trying to keep the Senator in a low price niche. Just look at the price difference between a bronze sleeve & a s/s one. Have you looked inside a Senator H2 lately and seen all the s/s in there? Bridge, yoke, jack, etc. I guess you haven't. Even if Penn made everything out of s/s there would be experimenters that will try for one up man ship and demand titanium.

oc1

They must have decided that the bridge, yoke, jack, etc. are more vulnerable to failure than the sleeve.  Right?

RowdyW

Quote from: oc1 on April 07, 2021, 05:37:01 PM
They must have decided that the bridge, yoke, jack, etc. are more vulnerable to failure than the sleeve.  Right?
No, their s/s is cheaper then brass.  :D  How many NEW Senator sleeves have you worn out? Do you own any Senators that you fish regularly?

oc1

Quote from: RowdyW on April 07, 2021, 06:19:57 PM
Quote from: oc1 on April 07, 2021, 05:37:01 PM
They must have decided that the bridge, yoke, jack, etc. are more vulnerable to failure than the sleeve.  Right?
No, their s/s is cheaper then brass.  :D  How many NEW Senator sleeves have you worn out? Do you own any Senators that you fish regularly?
None.  Senators are dinosaurs.

RowdyW

Are you the resident dinosaur expert too??

nelz

Quote from: foakes on April 05, 2021, 03:56:08 PMToday, too much emphasis is on the reels and cranking and line — and unfortunately less on the rod and the rod handling techniques when fighting a large fish.

You nailed it Fred. Like Ernest was saying (on Ken Burns' Hemingway), "pump and reel, pump and reel!" Those monster marlins were taken on stock reels no doubt. But it never hurts to beef 'em up though.

oc1

Quote from: RowdyW on April 07, 2021, 07:37:49 PM
Are you the resident dinosaur expert too??

If I was a dinosaur expert I'd know what these reels are.  They are not Senators.
https://www.sportfishingmag.com/hemingway-bimini-s-historic-fishing/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-REPRODUCTION-8X10-PHOTOGRAPH-ERNEST-HEMINGWAY-MARLIN-FISHING-/164653386520
https://pixels.com/featured/ernest-hemingway-fishing-the-old-man-and-the-sea-thomas-pollart.html
https://line.17qq.com/articles/whetetqrx.html
https://www.ernesthemingwaycollection.com/about-hemingway/ernest-hemingway-in-key-west

... and there are lots more if you google "Hemmingway fishing images".  That dude caught a lot of big fish and didn't mind having his picture taken with them.  Several people here will recognize them immediately.

RowdyW

A Senator is more like a combination of a Timex and the Eveready Bunny.... "takes a beating & keeps on ticking" and "still going"............. How many designs have fallen by the wayside while the Senator is still around. It's a reel made for everybody not just the well off. Hemingway was a snob. Senators have caught every fish on the planet and will continue to do so. I can't say the same for your stick & string attitude. END OF TOPIC!

Newell Nut

Sal built me a 10/0 which is just a narrow 12/0 and upgraded the sleeve and drag and handle. I have caught a few 10 foot sharks offshore with it and it performs perfectly. I have also converted a 12/0 to a 10/0 on a second heavy rod for a back up that may not get any use. I have another 12/0 that has been modified and is a closet queen. Not for sale.

My .02 cents,

Dwight