Upgraded Penn Mag 10

Started by xjchad, February 20, 2020, 06:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I just finished this Penn Mag Tuned 10 for a customer in Oregon. These are such great little reels that can be used for a variety of species and techniques.  He'll be using it for surf, rocks, and jetty fishing and these upgrades will allow for stronger line and help keep the larger fish out of structure.

This reel was upgraded with the following:
-Replaced the 30-10 stand/foot with a stronger 30-49 unit that also allows for a rod clamp (using custom spacers and screws).
-Replaced the stock brass gear sleeve with a stainless steel sleeve.
-Shimmed the gear sleeve with a .010" shim to reduce excess handle play.
-Added a second anti-reverse dog to the bridge.
-Upgraded the drag with Carbontex washers and Cal's drag grease.
-Full disassembly, deep clean, and lubrication.

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

Good job, Chad !  I reelly like your "reel stand", too....I need to make one, when I get home.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

X2. Especially that customized stand improvement and the double-dog. Any opinion on the mag function?
Based on Lingwendil's tutorial of the 210, I's thinkin of doin one up for my son. He's in dire need of a levelwinder for Pac. Coast bottom fishing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lingwendil

I would love to add a reel clamp to mine, might keep an eye out for a stand with holes, although I suppose a new stainless stand could be modified to take a clamp, it'll still be a little thin though. I for sure think I want to double dog my 210 and go to a stainless sleeve at some point as I want to use it for rays and leopard shark rigging, a second dog would be good piece of mind if I ever hook into one of the rays that stands up to the Mud Marlin moniker  8)

Grab a 10 or 210, They are fantastic reels :)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)