Grouper Junior — WIP

Started by Decker, March 24, 2020, 03:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Next Steps:  Got the right main yesterday, 5-149.  Comparing with the other gear I had, it is a little wider and thicker.  

Back to dremeling.   Lots of trial and error.   I mentioned that earlier I ran into the inside of the outer ring.  Also, I caught a tiny bit of daylight, just above the ring.  Mike's pictures showed that he took a good chunk of material away from the ring.  I wanted to try to avoid that.   When trying the fit, it became obvious that the rubbing was mainly on the outermost part of the main, so I focused on going deeper, and trying to make the walls flatter (as opposed to crater-shaped).   At one point, I chalked the cavity, assembled and noted where it had been scraped away. It did help.

At this point, the main will turn.  I've even assembled with the pinion, yoke, jack, drag star, handle.  Assembled the frame to verify spool alignment.  Tightened down the 5-stack and there is still rubbing.  The little bit of the outer ring that is visible inside the plate has become a bearing surface  :P .  If I crank a lot I can feel the ring heat up.  

I need to be careful about taking more material away, and may end up doing some kind of plate repair like Mike did. The lazy part of me is thinking that maybe I can wear material away using the main gear itself.  It is stainless, so against the brass ring I expect it to do okay.  If I crank a lot, it does get better.  

WILL POST PICS LATER

It is still fun!!

Ron Jones

Spotting in that gear is the way to go. Might try a sharpie n the ring to identify contact.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Decker

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 29, 2020, 04:38:06 PM
Spotting in that gear is the way to go. Might try a sharpie n the ring to identify contact.
Ron Jones

The plate is black.  I'm thinking of trying Whiteout (correction fluid) for contrast.  The chalk worked, but not so well.

oc1

Prussian blue, aka marking blue.
=s

Decker

I've been away from the site, and left this unfinished.  Really missing Sal...   Need to dedicate finishing this to his memory. 

The main problem now is that the side plate is becoming swiss cheese.   Somehow this didn't seem to bother Mike when he did the same build.  I saved some of the black plate dust to maybe mix with epoxy  for some body work later - if I dare. 

Then there is also the external drag cap solution suggested by Mo. Gfish also offered a drag cap a while back that may work.

I tend to get bound up in decisions, but need to push through with this.  It was the decision to use Sal's innovative 5-149/13-113H gear set that get me to this point with the sideplate.   

Gfish

Alright "the Deck" is a dealin! Lemme know about the drag cap(hat). Really wanna see how this one comes out, Joe!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brewcrafter

Decker - If you are still working on getting proper clearances, try these tricks.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31860.msg372294#msg372294
I know it is a different reel (this was a 113H) but the same techniques could apply.  If on the other had you have "gone too far", I also watch with interest.  I have to think standard 113 sideplates aren't too hard to get a hold off, but since this thread has stretched over time, not exactly sure where you sit with the project but certainly want to help you see it through.

oc1

mhc

Good to see you Joe and good to see you picking up the Grouper Junior project. From your earlier posts you were getting close to having clearance between the 149 main gear and the plate but the gear was touching the inside ring?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Decker

Hey guys, good to hear from you!

Steve, hope you got that linked image issue figured out.  Your rustic tackle works are Gilligan's Island dreams.  Remind me of the blue marker trick?

Brewcrafter, thanks for the tool tip.  I may need to do something like that.

GFish, what are the inside/outside diameters of the cap you have?

Mike, you're one of the people that inspired me into this wilderness...  Yes, I need to cut back the ring.   Right now it is still on the plate.  I see yours had to be cut pretty far back; how did you do it?   I looked at your plate mod photos yesterday.

My post yesterday was to renew my commitment to this, but work is going to be slow.  My four young ones keep me dancing.

Cheers to all,

/Joe "Decker"

thorhammer

Joe, good to have you back in the fold!

Decker

mhc

Quote from: Decker on April 13, 2021, 12:56:38 PM
I see yours had to be cut pretty far back; how did you do it?
/Joe "Decker"

I'll check on the weekend Joe, but I don't think I needed to modify the inside ring. ??? With the outer ring I'm pretty sure I would have used a half round coarse file to rough out the outer ring to fit around the patch I epoxied on to the plate - then finished it with a dremel sanding drum. I had a look through my photos but couldn't find any showing how I did it. I've also filed an information request with my memory but it hasn't responded yet.  ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Decker

Quote from: mhc on April 14, 2021, 11:09:05 AM
I'll check on the weekend Joe, but I don't think I needed to modify the inside ring. ??? With the outer ring I'm pretty sure I would have used a half round coarse file to rough out the outer ring to fit around the patch I epoxied on to the plate - then finished it with a dremel sanding drum. I had a look through my photos but couldn't find any showing how I did it. I've also filed an information request with my memory but it hasn't responded yet.  ;D

Right, it's the inside of the outer ring that needs the work.  Yes, the file makes sense for that, though I don't think I have enough daylight yet for the file to pass through.  I've been timid about digging too deep, but need to go for it. 

My archive isn't as deep as yours, Mike, but I know those information retrievals require patience.  Once the request has been placed, it is best not to pester the clerk too much.  Better to just let him do his job, and one day the document will just magically appear  ::) 

Good thing we have this site! ;D  Thanks, Alan!

Gfish

Ok, joe. What I have is 2 drag caps(sometimes called "hat" cause a the shape). But they fit the 113-H size of a gear sleeve (0.5"). One's got a rubber guard the other don't, both are too big for my 111-2/0's side-plate with the NON- outside access opening. The metal o.d. = 1.25" on both. Prolly too big for the 2/0's side-plate, unless the 113-H 4/0 uses the same outside access drag cap as the 111 2/0 (I'mina check Mystic part #'s to see).
Got 2 sets of side plates for my 111, but never knew they came as outside access plates also.  Older style? Newer? Anyway, I have some 111 parts as I bought a spare for the gear side- plate and aluminum spool.  
1) 113H gear sleeve & 2 different side-plate styles
2) 111 plate with a no-rubber guard 113H drag cap—-too big for this plate, would interfere with the spool bushing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!