Penn 114H second AR dog

Started by Alto Mare, November 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

So, Sal... wouldn't we be able to do any senator, now that you've blazed the trail for us?
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, I though I was the only one up before 5 am ;D
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it on other Senators. I had an older plate laying around and decided to give it a try. I did this  free hand without marking anything, I only placed a dot with a marker for the pin that holds the spring tension. This idea came to me a long time ago and I finally decided to give it a shot yesterday. Give it a try, you'll need a dremel, a few different bits and lots of patience. Just don't get too upset if you screw up the plate...it could happen, I was lucky .

Thanks to everyone else, I'm glad you liked it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Now I got something to do this winter other than repairing and cleaning. 
PS- I didn't go to bed yet ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Okay guys, here is a reel that I just put together using the double dog feature. These are alternating dogs, unlike the dogs in my 113h that I posted about earlier. Enjoy!

I found an easier way of shaving the area for the new dog; as you can see from the picture, you don't need to overdo it as I did above.

[

I want to mention that using a cordless dremel and the apron that I'm wearing will make the job much easier.  You can put the tools you need in the apron and do the shaving outdoors, since it really gets dusty. I like to rest the plate on my chest while I work on it.

I used carbon fiber washers and a stainless steel gear sleeve.

The main gear is also stainless steel.

I used a Tiburon P 60 WEX-K-RED. No need for inner rings with this frame.

After I installed the left plate, I put the spool in place. I just want to mention that the spool and frame are heavy duty in this kit.

Next, I installed the right side plate.

Then I placed the stainless steel handle with an Ultimate Jigging Knob. I think it makes this bad boy look awesome.

Here is the finished product!

For size comparison, here is this reel next to the 113h that I customized earlier.

This is a heavy duty reel that can handle quite a bit.  No worries about running out of line any time soon; this reel holds over a mile of 80-pound braid.  The stainless steel gears are stock from Penn and they're 2.8 to 1, you can still find them, look for the anniversory reels,  It retrieves as much line as the 113h with the 4 to 1 gear.   I am not affiliated with any of the companies I am mentioning; I got the frame kit from Reelygone.com, the stainless steel handle from fishingreel 79, that's his ebay name and the handle knob from Jaws Fishing Tackle. The apron from Harbor Freight for $5.99. The stainless steel yoke from Dawn, and the stainless steel sleeve from Alan, he doesn't have any left at the moment.

Just wanted to mention this in case any of you want to put one toghether.

Thanks,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

I want to mention that the reel was working great  but the gears weren't disengaging smoothly. I just replaced the stainless steel yoke with the brass yoke and everything is nice and smooth now...this reel is awesome!

I've been corrected by one of the members here on line capacity on this reel, I was off by 150yds.
I went back to double check and this is what I came up with:
The 114H narrow, spool width 2 3/8" holds approx. 800 yds of 80 lb braid
The 114H, spool width  2 3/4" holds 1050 yds of 80 lb braid
The 114HLW, spool width 3" holds 1350 yds of 80 lb braid
The 114WEX, spool width  3.5" holds 1600 yds of 80lb braid
These figures are close but not accurate. Sal

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Sal,

As usual, awesome job!  Couple questions... Which reels dogs are those, the 113h?  How do you like the ultimate jigging handle knob... I've been thinkin' about them for my saltigas?  I'm not sure if it's true, but I was told the old steel gears aren't stainless... can you confirm either way for sure, please?
Thanks for forward thinking for us, bro!
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, yes the gears are 2.8:1 Moly coated stainless steel gears,introduced around the mid 80's. As for the steel gears, you're going all the way back to the beginning. The ultimate knob is great, I will be buying more. the owner is Arthur Wu, great guy, I order mine and they were in my mail box the next day...just like Dawn from smooth drags. I just want to mention to order yours with the "S" type shaft, I got mine with the "B" type shaft, my hands are big, it's working fine but since there is another option I  would go for it. These shafts have two ss ball bearings, top and bottom.
The ss handle goes very nice with it, I purchased mine on ebay, the seller is fishingreel79, a good person to deal with.
Dom, did you notice the frame? it's a full 1/4" thick, I purchased it from reelygone, the owner is Dan Williamson, if you pay him with a money order he will give you a break. I also purchased some 6-114HSP drag kits from him, Dawn was kind enough to let me know that she doesn't stack many of these kits, he is selling them for $10.50 each with free delivery. With all of these upgrades
I'm very excited about this reel, the 114H Senator is a great reel on its own, with over 50 years of good service, you can't say that about many other reels out there. Thanks guys. Sal

broadway

Hey Sal,
    Thanks for passing on your knowledge, bro.  I have dealt with Dan at reelygone, and you're right he is a nice guy.  I have looked into those frames, but they're a bit on the pricey side.  I might have to get a couple for a rainy day now that you mentioned it  ;)
Fishingreel79 is the seller I've been watching the blue saltiga handles on... small world on this internet, huh?
What's the difference between the "S" and "B" type shafts?  I have pretty ridiculous hands myself... I am 6' 5" after all ;)
As for the dogs... The photo tricked me into thinking they were 2 different sizes.  Thanks for clearing that up.
Do you have an idea which years used the stainless gears and which used the steel gears?  You're right I have the plain steel ones in all my football-shaped handles  ;) of my senators.  
Great job,
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, you're right. These frame kits are costly but don't think that they're going down in value any time soon. This is the widest kit that Tiburon put out there. It has a frame and spool over 3" in width, 3.5" to be exact, requires a lot of engineering on their part to keep the spool and frame intact under stress. You will hear a lot of different opinions regarding this reel. My own opinion is that this reel can be pushed around 30lb. and also that you would have a tough time finding a better reel in it's class able to hold a mile of 80 lb braid. I purchased one because I thought it was worth it, but everyone is entitle to their own opinion. Fishingreel 79 is a great guy, his name is Tong Nguyen, his work on ss is excellent, I've been dealing with him for over 2 years now. Everytime I ask him to make me a handle for a 113h, or a 114H, he always comes through.
The difference between the "S" and the "B" shaft is that the "S" is a little longer.
As for the stainless steel gears, you won't find the exact date anywere, so I'm going to guesstimate, based on my findings, that they were from the early 50's and didn't last long. Steel gears were used before then. Later, Sal

Alto Mare

Sorry Dom, I have a correction to make. I read about the moly coated stainless steel gears in their 50th anniversary catalog not the 25th anniversary catalog, therefore the stainless steel gears on these reels were introduced in the 80's, not 50's. I know that they didn't last very long though. Sorry for the mix-up, I had the right catalog but wrote down the wrong date. Sal

broadway

I'm gonna keep my out for those stainless gears, and put an order in with Mr. Nguyen for some handles.  Thanks for the follow up
Dom

Alto Mare

Any time Dom. Hey, did you check out that used  Tiburon Broadbill Kit on eBay? I think it's going off today. It's up to $275, it will probably go over $300. Now, that's what I call costly.
Later bro. Sal

broadway

I did see that, but if I was gonna do that I'd go for the frame and spool you got from Dan...brand new too!
I think people on ebay get caught up in the bidding... big time! I have seen things go for more than the seller's buy it now price during a bidding war...all one of the bidders had to do was click the buy it now button  ::)
Have a great day,
Dom

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 08, 2012, 04:45:56 PM
Any time Dom. Hey, did you check out that used  Tiburon Broadbill Kit on eBay? I think it's going off today. It's up to $275, it will probably go over $300. Now, that's what I call costly.
Later bro. Sal

I've been watching that bidding, too.  MADNESS! 

Sal, you've put together a 6/0 with capabilities way beyond what I think Penn ever envisioned.  Awesome!  Who needs a 9/0 when your 6/0 will out-perform it in every way, except for some line capacity. 
Regards, George 
viurem lliures o morirem