International II 50TW Drag Help

Started by jdupree, August 24, 2021, 04:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdupree

First of all,  thanks for having me!  I have really been amazed at all of the knowledge on this board!

I have a 50TW International II that I am servicing.  It appears to have the original "doughnut" woven drag washer in it.  I can post pictures if needed, but the washer is worn fairly badly and smooth in some spots.  I think it needs to be replaced.  If I have read correctly, the replacement from mystic would be the 117DN-50?  Based on the price $66.00, I really don't want to go that route.  Is it possible to find the original drag washer and replace it?  Would someone on this board have any?  From what I have seen they are hard to come by.

I am a "weekend warrior" (if that), when it comes to fishing.  I don't need to make all the updates to this reel, but would like it to be functional.  I have a bearing that I am replacing as well and I want to keep the cost as low as possible.

Thanks in advance!

John

Robert Janssen

I might have a used-but—better-condition one you could have. I can check tomorrow, as in about 24 hrs.
I live overseas though, so it can take some time, unless someone else pipes up in the meantime.

Tell y'all something else too, that i don't think has ever been mentioned here.
The friction material on those discs is two-sided. With a bit of skill, patience and luck, the friction material can be removed, reversed and re-bonded to the disc, providing a new friction surface.

Use gentle heat (boiling water or hot air gun, hot iron) and a dull scalpel or dull razor blade to prise the friction material from the disc and importantly the factory adhesive.

Call it the Rob Method. I haven't done it in well over ten-twelve years, so i might have lost the touch, but it can be done.

jdupree

Thanks so much for the suggestion Rob!  I will look into that if I can't find one. 

Navidad Nutcase

I'm sure I also have a used one in better shape. P.M.me if Robert does find one. I am in mexico but will be traveling to Idaho within a month
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Robert Janssen

In the meantime, jdupree can try just cleaning it. Seriously, those drag washer can  last a very, very long time. Try cleaning it with a degreasing agent or just soap and water and a toothbrush or something. Maybe it is in better shape than it seems to be.

jdupree

Thanks Greg and Robert!  Let me clean it up as suggested and I will post a picture.  It has just lost some "texture" and is smoother towards the top.  I will get a picture posted this evening.

Greg, when you have a chance maybe you can post a picture of the one you have.

Thanks!

Robert Janssen

What kind do you need? Top or bottom?
(My 50TW uses the type to the top)

Robert Janssen

Navidad Nutcase

Well, when you read a posting CORRECTLY - the answer changes. I read "50W" when I responded to this posting. It wasn't until I saw the pictures that I re-read and saw my mistake. I thought you were speaking of the old asbestos donuts.
I don't have any of the ones you need. Sorry
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

jdupree

Greg - no worries and thanks for checking.

Rob - I have the one on the bottom.  I ended up cleaning it up as you suggested.  It turned out much better so put some cal's drag grease on it and installed it back in.  I think the top one pictured was the updated version if I am not mistaken.  If you are interested in selling one (or both) please let me know.  It would not hurt to have 1 or 2 as a backup.  Thanks!