International II 12T

Started by williewiskers, April 06, 2020, 02:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahfudzmn

I have succeeded in restoring the 12T previously mentioned.

My initial look was that the 1.2mm Carbontex should be running alright, but the drag was around 2LB and even less. Blueprinted the reel against the diagram and found everything is in order.

Belleville arrangement was found as (()) and I believe it's the same in the diagram.

As a last effort after not having success with 1.2mm Carbontex, I opened it up one last time and installed a 1.5mm Carbontex. Voila, all fixed and I'm surprised just how smooth and effortless it is to turn the drag lever. At max free spool the reel generated 6.5LB at Full so I'm well happy with the results.

Sure the reel is made like a tank and I'm sure many would have taken advantage to increase the drag. But as per Alan's comment I would think 15LB is a good stretch with the reel. What I could think off and I've done it before is to stiffen up the spring washers with flat ones. Just hope the drag lever and hub will last and could take the beating.

williewiskers

There's still something very wrong if you are getting 6.5# at FULL. You should get 12-15lbs at STRIKE with freespool and 20-30% MORE in the full position. If thickening the drag washer made the initial difference then you must look at the belleville washers. If the lever is left engaged the spring washers flatten out. The stock configuration on the bellevilles on any 1st gen international is ()(). If you are using the washers in the nested / stacked configuration like this - (()) - then your total stack height has been REDUCED and you must add an additional nested washer on one side or a flat washer to makeup the difference. The cam on the drag lever only moves about 1mm - so its imperative that you do not have ANY excess slack in the belville stack. Fixing this should solve your low drag problem.

The Wiskers

mahfudzmn

Quote from: williewiskers on April 15, 2021, 01:45:49 PM
There's still something very wrong if you are getting 6.5# at FULL. You should get 12-15lbs at STRIKE with freespool and 20-30% MORE in the full position. If thickening the drag washer made the initial difference then you must look at the belleville washers. If the lever is left engaged the spring washers flatten out. The stock configuration on the bellevilles on any 1st gen international is ()(). If you are using the washers in the nested / stacked configuration like this - (()) - then your total stack height has been REDUCED and you must add an additional nested washer on one side or a flat washer to makeup the difference. The cam on the drag lever only moves about 1mm - so its imperative that you do not have ANY excess slack in the belville stack. Fixing this should solve your low drag problem.

The Wiskers

100% agree with you, it's one of those reel with very little drag cam travel. Stiffening up the drag stack and springs will help generating the drag force quickly.