Sabiki Flies

Started by Gfish, April 14, 2020, 05:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Simple to tie, minimal materials needed.
1) Tools. Really the only things "needed" here are the vice and sissors. Everything else makes it much easier though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

2) Materials. Any thread can be used, but fly tying thread best. Mine is 6/0 for med. - small flies. Any kind of small hook will work, mine are thin wire nymph type hooks. The rest of the materials are probably available at a hobby store. The long neck hackle feathers may difficult to find, except at a fly shop. Really though they wouldn't be needed for a sibiki fly. In fact I didn't use them this time.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

3) Method. a) Put plastic bead on and leave down near hook bend, wrap a thread base on hook shank. Make a fat thread area where bead will sit near hook eye. b) Glue bead on fat head area and paint on eye with sharpie(s). Then wrap thread towards back.
c) Tie in tail. Tail can be fur, feathers or my favorite; marabou sections of feathers. Marabou has an excellent wavy-like movement in the water. d) The body can be alot of diffrent materials, plain thread will even work, but something furry like chenille is best. I'll keep it simple and use the same marabou as was used on the tail. Tie in material at the back, twist it together with the thread(thread twisted into feathers makes them stronger) and wrap the combo forward.
e) Tie off and glue knot. I usually tie off behind the bead, bring the thread over the bead, then tie off in the front near the hook eye. Done.

Gfish

I don't want to catch more than 2 fish at once, nor do I want to deal with 5 hook rigs, I use a 2 fly rig.

I use about 4' of leader. Swivel on top, 2 loop knots, with the flies on 1 lateral piece of line each, instead of directly on the loop(makes for easier replacement). Leader is 12lb. I think anything less than 10lb. may cut through the loops too easily. Note the sinker is large---3oz. This gets it down quickly when the wind may be blowing my kayak away from the drop point, or when you gotta get down past ~ 75ft or so.

Notice I left the loop knot for the white fly loose so you may be able to see how it is tied. The I-pad at close range produces blurry photos. Sorry.

jurelometer