MAY I CHANGE LARGE TROLLING REELS TO CASTING REELS?

Started by Dominick, November 28, 2011, 06:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmer

I've seen guys throw a 4lb aku like Aaron Rodgers throws a football. Pretty accurate and no chance of a professional over run.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Hi Dominick,

Have you decided what to do with those reels?  If you want to make into a casting reel, you will definitely need to sleeve the spool shaft.  I've got a bunch of brass tubes if you don't and we can make them up.  Please let me know.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 12, 2011, 06:40:02 PM
Hi Dominick,

Have you decided what to do with those reels?  If you want to make into a casting reel, you will definitely need to sleeve the spool shaft.  I've got a bunch of brass tubes if you don't and we can make them up.  Please let me know.

Bryan
Hi Bryan:  Thanks for the offer.  I made a sleeve for the 30 and the 50 comes with a SS sleeve.  When are you getting back to the good old USA? Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Hi Dominick

I get back on Friday  :D.  France is nice and the people here in Toulouse are very nice.  Much better than the riots of my prevous experience in Stausbourg.  Looks like everyone owns  at least 1 pair of Levis jeans.  But, as Dorothy said, there's no place like home.

So, get those bearing open and give them a bath then let them swim in TSI and you'll be ready for casting.

Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on December 12, 2011, 04:39:23 PM
He needs to learn how to use the rail.

Keta: please explain.

Bryan the bearings are sitting there waiting for the TSI bath.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Jimmer on December 12, 2011, 04:35:57 PM
I've seen guys throw a 4lb aku like Aaron Rodgers throws a football. Pretty accurate and no chance of a professional over run.
Wow, throwing a 4# aku is no easy feat.  I remember casting 9 oz lead off the cliff.  4# aku off of a rocking boat?  1# maybe.

SoCalAngler

You should be able to cast the two reels you mentioned 25 feet no problem, but if you want a better casting reel for big tuna look at the 16VSX The 16VSX gets almost the same drag pressure as your 50VSW (just a couple pounds less) and is much lighter over all with a lighter spool which will make casting for distance much easier. The VSX reels are more of a west coast style of reel and the VSW and and the 30W are more of a east coast style IMO.

Keta

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 13, 2011, 04:31:12 AM

Use the boat rail as a fulcrum for fighting large fish.  He put the wrong part of the rod on the rail and the rod came apart.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on December 13, 2011, 06:15:56 AM
Quote from: Pescachaser on December 13, 2011, 04:31:12 AM

Use the boat rail as a fulcrum for fighting large fish.  He put the wrong part of the rod on the rail and the rod came apart.

Keta:  I asked for an explanation I guess because I was lazy.  I did not watch the whole video but after your comment I went back and watched the whole thing.  Sure I know what you are talking about now.  Problem is if the guy was efficient it would not make for good television.  Dominick