stella 5000sw,daiwa saltiga s extreme 4500 and s extreme 6500 drags

Started by trishul, December 04, 2011, 05:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trishul

i just got a stella 5000sw, saltiga s extreme 4500 and s extreme 6500 on the way due to arrive by friday   i have  one question regarding 3 diffrent reels would be nice if any fellow members have any experience with these reels and are willing t0 shed s0me light

the question i want t0 ask is are the drags f0r these s extremes any diffrent fr0m the expedition  and standard z4500s ie d0 they have carb0ntex 0r n0t and what ab0ut the drag f0r the stella 5k sw d0es it have carb0ntex 0r is it standard like the 0ld saltigas i have never had a stella bef0re s0 that is a new territ0ry f0r me i g0t 0ne just t0 see if they are nice reels

thanks
trishul

alantani

check to see if they use white felt for a drag washer material.  if so, we will have to get you some carbon fiber.  a
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dawn

Hi
Just checked schematics, it looks like the Extremes use the same drag parts as the Saltist spinners, I do have them.  The 4500 would be a 3 drag set, and the 6500 a 5 drag set.  I don't know if they have Carbontex, you'd have to look, I don't think so though.
Basically they are the same OD, ID as the standard 4500/6500, but the extreme/saltist washers are thicker.

I am working on the Stella washers right now, you can check my part of Alan's world here, and I will post when they are ready.  They do not come with carbon fiber drags, I think they were felt, but I don't have them right here to check for sure.

Dawn
Dawn

trishul

ok thanks i will just have to wait and check on friday then from the write up on daiwa australias website it says that the s extremes have UTD (ultimate tournament drag) http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=3937  they also mention on some other sites that the gears are from a diffrent material but i have a strong feeling that is mostly the same reel just that it has red n a ball knob will find out soon and post
thanks

trishul

dear dawn and alan

i managed to open the saltiga s extremes and to my surprize they do already have carbontex drag washers, i was least expecting it, however the stella as you said has some other material.
rgds
trishul

alantani

to their credit, daiwa has been slowly and quietly switching over to greased carbon fiber drag washers.  the emphasis here is on quiet.  i guess if they made an announcement, too many people would think of it as a recall and want they older reels upgraded. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

trishul

possibly but from what i read on the s extremes that reel was developed with australia in mind and daiwa australia in colabo with daiwa japan have made the changes but this is a good thing as they have atleast realized it was wrong to use the old style washers how ever its too late for the standard saltiga z4500, 5000. 6000 and the exp as i belive they are out of production now, i think also the material on gears could be diffrent on these reels all in all im very pleased with, there is also a conventional version of the saltiga s extreme now hope fully they will have rectified the issues it had

hafnor

The drags on the saltiga have been upgraded since previos version that was released in 01. all New daiwa saltiga reels have carbon drag washers. The stella sw. also have carbon fibre but only on the reels bigger than 5000 or 6000 series (8000, 10000, 18000 and 20000)

Saltiga used teflon washer that made a lot of starting resistance in the drag.

the smaller stella sw use some kind of filt ( I believe they use these since they believe the carbon fibre will be to rough for such a small reel)

as for the gears on the saltiga I believe the same meterial is used as on the old ones(marine bronze) they are digital cut gears, for perfect meshing... (fancy)

Ps. I made a small review of the new saltiga 5000 on this board. See thread here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2968.0