Updated Status on Newell

Started by franky, December 07, 2011, 07:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

I just called Valley Manufacturing a minute ago and here is what I was told.

Newell aka Valley Manufacturing is currently not producing, selling, or exporting any reels or parts.  Everything is packed away in boxes.

They MAY continue and are currently looking at HOPEFULLY sometime in May of 2012.

Again, they are not selling reels or parts at all....Well see in May 2012...... :-\  

Thats all folks...

broadway

I'm a bit confused by the whole thing... why would valley manufacturing buy out Newell, to close it down?  Do you guys think they're gonna come out with a new line of reels or what?  How the heck do ya get parts for Newell reels in this case? Why would they stock the old reels and parts... did they just become the biggest Newell reel collectors of all time? 
DOm

john2244

Norcal Pescador

Thanks for the update, Franky.

Dom - Lots of possibilities...... Downturn of the economy, waiting for things to improve, they got in over their heads, getting some new talent to run/manage the business, rethinking their business plan, reducing the scope of their products, as you said revamping their line, hard to tell at this point.  :-\ ??? :-\
I share your frustration cuz I like their products, too. We'll have to be patient at this point.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

thanks, frank.  boy, that's one candy store i'd like to shop in.  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

WOW! ... Rob is the voice of reason with the virtue of patience.. never thought I'd see the day!  ;D
Alan,
I'm with you... a shopping blitz at Newell (VMFG) would get me out to California with the quickness!
Dom

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: broadway on December 08, 2011, 07:44:38 AM
WOW! ... Rob is the voice of reason with the virtue of patience.. never thought I'd see the day!  ;D
Alan,
I'm with you... a shopping blitz at Newell (VMFG) would get me out to California with the quickness!
Dom

Yeah Dom, I have had my moments when the lights come on. :D  At least they have a target date. Just so you head out this way with the 'quickness' and not the 'trots'. :P ;D

You're right, Alan. If they had a 'garage sale' it would be a mob scene like Black Friday at WalMart.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

There is a store that has a one time per year sale of wedding dresses that makes black friday look like a calm day... I think someone even got trampled to death at one years ago  ??? ... over a dress?!  Could you imagine all of us with our bellies trying to get through the door... by the time all us fisherman left the building would be structurally unstable... LOL!  I think I would come to see that pandemonium!
Hope you had as much fun dreamin' as I do,
Dom

tomsatx

I called Sun Valley Mfg not knowing they were not selling parts or making newells anymore. They said they are relocating to a new building and should be able to contact them as early as April or May. I ordered 2 replacement stainless frame bolts for a S533 with the older style posts with the small nuts and they never gave them to me. The reel has been down for a year already and wanted to sell on ebay. Parts reels do not sell as much compared to a Newell in good working condition. I got so sick of seeing it sitting that I bought 2 more new Red newells R235 and R338 in its place and really like the lighter size for my hands.

Does anyone know where to get these? They are the bolts that go through the base and connect to the stainless rim. I am needing the two that connect to the actual rim. I will provide photos tonight along with the specific size.

franky

Quote from: tomsatx on December 22, 2011, 04:22:49 PM
I ordered 2 replacement stainless frame bolts for a S533 with the older style posts with the small nuts and they never gave them to me.

Does anyone know where to get these? They are the bolts that go through the base and connect to the stainless rim. I am needing the two that connect to the actual rim. I will provide photos tonight along with the specific size.

Hello tomsatx,

Wow, bad news dude.  I just called Brians Fishing Supply here in Hawaii.  I know exactly what part you are talking about.  Brian just told me that that part is going to be very difficult to find...newell does not even make it anymore.

At this point, it may be easier to just do a conversion to regular sideplate screws.  However, if you choose to embark on this journey, you will need to change your support posts and the two inner s/s sideplate rings because the holes will not line-up.

I myself helped someone do the conversion and it was not easy to find the parts.  However, we got lucky and now his reel has the regular sideplate screws.

The problem with the design of those older bolts that go through the support post is that when saltwater gets in, they rust.

The shops in Hawaii does not carry that particular part.  Newell does not even make it anymore.  On a good note, however, since this posting is on the internet, we got the whole world looking at it and maybe someone accross the united states might have a set somewhere in the closet.

cross your fingers...