Penn shims??

Started by jlnel, June 02, 2020, 03:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlnel

Where can you get the shims for some penn reels?

I was looking for some for a 6500ss main gear and it showed oop??

It's a common reel and not super old, there has to be an option, i just dont know what.

Is there an assortment kits with shoms for most penns?

Most spinning like greenies to the new spinfisher stuff is what i am mostly looking to get them for.

Thanks!

foakes

Not sure what shims you are looking for, John?

Do you have pics, part #'s, Schematics, or is this just trying to tighten up any slop in the main gear -- as an aftermarket fix?

All purpose brass shims are typically available through places like McMaster-Carr.  They are ordered in bulk most economically -- by thickness, ID, & OD.

If they are factory shims -- someone will have what you need.

Maybe I don't understand what you need.

Let us know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jlnel

I had a part number written down but cant find it at the moment.

But the little washer/s that go between the main gear and side bearings.

Slightly bumping cross block screws and have seen them used to bump the gear out a bit.

Ill post part number if i find it soon.

I dont know sizes but would order from mcmaster or another source if recommended.

I dont have calipers so if there is a size chart or something please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

John

foakes

My advice, John --

Get a digital caliper.  Amazon has a decent one on sale for $10 -- free shipping.  Here is a photo.

You will use it for many, many other measurements on reels also..

Then, this could be close to your shims.  Mystic has them for $1.15 each.  They go between the bearing and main gear.

If you needed a large assortment, I would figure out what reels you might need them for, measure sizes as to thickness, ID, & OD.  Then find a source like McMaster-Carr, or someone else, to order a large assortment in bulk.  They would only likely cost a few cents apiece at that point.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

I just shimmed a Newell reel bearing with some shims I found in my ProGear stuff.  I have no idea where they came from, but in the back of my mind I knew I had some.  They were 1000th thick.  I installed a Cortez clicker set that would not engage at all until I pushed the spool over.

I need to locate the source, too.

As Fred said, you will find a use for calipers.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

oc1

Get rolls of brass shim stock in several thicknesses.  You can easily cut your own shims whenever they are needed and will find a million and one other uses for the stuff.
-steve

jlnel

Hi all,

I think the part no i was looking for is 8A-6000.

I need to get the digital calipers, i have a dial style and would not trust myself reading it at that small of a reading.

If anyone has some of those let me know but ill be back to ask question when i start making my own, i think that will be a great skill to have.

Thanks for the tips, let see how this adventure will go!! ;-)