Looking for a transom mount CHIRP transducer for a Lowrance HDS7 Gen3.

Started by Keta, June 04, 2020, 03:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Lowrance customer service is back to being crap and I can not get useful information from them, and I got to wait for almost an hour.  Their on line is also bad.

I traded work for a HDS7 Gen3 with G3 radar and need a CHIRP transducer for it.  Anyone know what model # transducers will work for me?

Anyone know much about their FR XDCR SpotlightScan transducers?  I find nothing on their web page.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

The specs. on that one Mark, say both "transom mount" and "thru-hull", aren't those diffrent things?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

They advertise it as having multiple mounting options but it comes with the transom mount as pictured.  As far as what West Marine says in their ad, well, they do sometimes get referred to as Worst Marine!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

I have the bracket for that transducer mounted on the boat with a SS1 transducer on it now.  This transducer would allow me to use other features of the DHS7.  I will try to find I out if low CHIRP will be something I need.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

boon

The Totalscan transducers have decidedly average performance beyond maybe 250ft depth... they will pick up the bottom way out to 600+ but the cone width becomes a problem. They are a very nice and sensitive inshore transducer though.

The low-budget option is an Airmar TM150M, although these are only 300w. I believe your unit should have 600w output.
A slightly odd option is the TM165HW, 600w, but it's a widebeam transducer and therefore best suited to shallower depths.

In terms of performance, your best bet is one of the 1kw models, you won't get the full output but they still have far larger and more sensitive elements.
TM185M is, I think, the cheapest 1kw CHIRP transducer (still probably ~$700) The others like the TM275 and TM265, I think you need dual-channel CHIRP to get the most out of them, and I don't think the Gen3 has it?

Keta

The lake I fish is 300' but I am planning on putting the DHS  on my "real" boat (is a 21' Stripper a real boat?) and ocean fish with it at 600'+, and need a narrow cone.  As of now I have more "value" in electronics on my flatbottom boat than the boat is worth and would like to keep the price down even though I have $0.00 invested in electronics so far.  A better transducer would be a good investment for the 21' though, my high $ Garmin chart plotter was bought the year before CHIRP came out.   The DHS7 gen3  manual says I can chose low, med or high CHIRP.

The kokanee in the lake are usually suspended at 30'-80' so depth for them is a non issue but the makanaw can be on the bottom at 250'-300'.  It would be nice to be able to pick up halibut on the bottom in deep water like my "ancient" cathode ray tubed  Raytheon V700 did or better.

I should be back to work soon and funding for a better transducer will be available.

Mark Twain

boon

If you're not worried about CHIRP, an old TM258 or TM260 will give you outstanding low frequency performance in salt water, even with only 600w driving them.

Keta

Mark Twain

Joao Tavares

Lee

Is this what you looking for?

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Navico-TotalScan-Transducer-P4752.aspx

Mine https://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-HDI-Skimmer-Transducer-50200-455800khz-P3678.aspx
can lock bottom at 500' regularly with a Hook7 Charter/plotter (at sea).

I know it says can read bottom at 2,500' but the best I ever got at sea was 600'. Maybe my charter/plotter does not put out enough power.

Cheers