Adding Increased Drag to a Reel

Started by foakes, June 08, 2020, 03:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

After spending a lifetime in the business -- and growing up around auto shops -- I see many similarities between souping up engines and increasing drag capabilities on fishing reels!

"Yeah, we could probably squeeze one more disk in top of the stack..."

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

borchcl

I have been guilty of that kind of behavior !
Regards,
Charlie

Gfish

Yeah, I overheated a Chrysler 225 Slant 6 and "had" to get the head shaved after the over-heat caused warpage. It actually lasted a couple more years till it blew up pretty bad.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

THe quest for the weak link!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Gfish on June 09, 2020, 12:45:56 AM
Yeah, I overheated a Chrysler 225 Slant 6 and "had" to get the head shaved after an over-heat caused warpage. It actually lasted a couple of years till it blew up pretty bad.
Gfish, speaking from personal experience and an intimate knowledge of old Mopars, blowing up a Slant 6 AKA "Leaning Tower of Power" takes some doing! - john

Cor

Because of our need to cast a lure, which most of the stronger reels don't do well, we tend to use "normal" reels, load them with 50lb mono or even 80lb (braid) and go after Yellowfin tuna.   I've seldom seen a reel just blow up. Usually the AR goes, causing the reel to spin out of control with a major backlash, broken line and painful fingers and hands from handle slap.

Sometimes there is less obvious internal damage which will accumulate and eventually also lead to failure.     We understand what we're doing and I actually find it amazing how well the reels still survive this type of treatment.

A mate of mine once gave me a bag of 6 Shimano TLD 20/40 that he had used in this manner over a number of years.    I was asked to fix where possible  and only one had a bent spindle shaft, the rest could all be repaired with minor part replacements.
Cornelis

foakes

John & Greg --

You guys are right about those old Chrysler Slant "6" engines -- bulletproof.

When I was UCM for a major auto dealer in California over a 10 year period -- I was responsible for appraising, reconditioning, and retailing or wholesaling every trade I took in for the entire dealership.  4 or 5 a day for 10 years.  Never needed to rebuild a slant "6" engine.  The rest of the vehicle may rot away -- but the engine just keeps going.

Another engine that I am more familiar with is the old Ford Inline "6".  Lots of folks don't like this engine that Ford produced for over 31 years.  Not enough cylinders -- old man's engine -- not a drag racer, etc..

However, it has a tremendous amount of low end torque -- cast iron block and head -- 7 main bearings -- and a crankshaft that weighs more than many of the newer aluminum engines coming out of Asia or Detroit nowadays.

Matter of fact -- all of those big, brown, ugly UPS trucks that brought us our reel parts used to have these engines in them.  UPS is no dummy -- they are an efficient, effective, and profitable company.  These trucks were run for 500K miles -- then the engine was overhauled for another 500K miles of service.  Plus, the engines at 500K -- were still fine. UPS just didn't want any down-time for the next 500K. So the cost of an engine maintenance rebuild was factored into their original investment and business operating plan Projections.

Why did Ford stop making this engine? One main reason -- Too costly to produce with the quality and durable materials.

The Bulletproof cast iron block weighed more than a V-8 --

There is a parallel here with some of our quality fishing reels -- that a few of us may recognize.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

I fish my hot rods a bit over factory spec but I am shooting for a smoother drag at mid ranges as opposed to real high drag.   The only exception is my Tib framed 501N, with Pro Challenger guts including the "versa drag" style main gear and SS double dog bridge plate, that I fish it much higher (20#-25#) than factory spec but the extra narrow spool decreases the chance of bending a shaft and the solid frame will take a lot to flex.  Plain bearings of the Jigmaster will not fail either.  I am not sure what the weak link will be for this reel but do not want to find out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cuttyhunker

The 300 Ford converted into a great marine engine, the GMC 292 was no slouch either, dad got 7000 hours out of one, ended up as a running take out, plane, magnaflux and valves at 3500 hours. He was easy up and down on the throttle and kept the old solid lifters about .010" sloppy from spec, the valves loved it.  Great engines, wish I could still get them for the boat.  
Doomed from childhood

Cor

How I wish for a car with an "old fashioned" engine like above, where the parts are in the places where you would expect them to be and were you can get to them without removing half the body and half the other engine bits first!
Cornelis

Ron Jones

I still think a 95 F150 extra cab with a straight six is about the best work truck out there. Sort of like a jigmaster; parts from a lot of things work in it and are readily available, inexpensive to purchase and maintain and just works.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Yeah, Ron --

I needed a new truck to drive personally for a business I started back in '89.

Bought a new Ford F-150 SWB XLT Lariat with full options -- A/C,  tilt, CC, PW, PDL, regular cab, 300 CID "6", with a standard shift 5-speed transmission.  It is still running well with nearly 490K on the clock.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Newell Nut

I think our 98 S10 with the 4.3 six is going to be like your truck Fred. This thing runs sweet with about 218K on it. A couple years ago I drove it to NV and back to Fl and no issue at all. I drive it most of the time here to keep miles off my Tahoe.

Dwight

steelfish

where is the fun if you keep everything stock and on its limits?

The Baja Guy