Penn SS or Z reels made in USA. Jump in Value/Desrability

Started by Fishgolfman, June 12, 2020, 06:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

The new-fangled, mid to high priced reels will function better for awhile when it comes to some things. Line rollers with bushings or bearings that really spin, smooth functioning multi-disc drags that may be sealed, ball bearings all over the place, ARB's for instant stop, light-weight graphite composite bodies and rotors, etc. But, will they last? Think; striped screws, corrosion in all those bearings, breakage when you drop 'em, non-steel/brass/aluminium gear wear.
Perhaps I shouldn't talk. I got tired of having water get into the drag systems on my spinners, every time I fished 'em. So I got one a those cheaper new age spinners cause the drag is sealed. Plastic rotor, too many bearings, main gear-some kinda zinc alloy or something. Function---yes!, but for how long? I'll spend time on maintenance(just don't like the drag cleaning), but things will wear out or break sooner than latter and I see myself in the future soaking ball bearings, etc. and ordering parts to keep it going...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Good points, Greg --

For me, the question is always --

OK, which will fail first on these Composite Marvels -- the cheap metal screwheads or the actual coarse threaded holes that the screws fasten into?

These reels are generally good for a couple of services -- then their lifespan is over.

Has anyone ever noticed that the word "Composite" is similar to "Compost Pile"?  Coincidence?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

I think there is a limit to the number of times any reel can be taken apart and reassembled.  It's the same with most stuff.  Try disassembling and cleaning your carburetor or washing machine every day and see what happens.  It is just going to wear out more quickly if you keep taking it apart.  

Metal screws into plastic or composite material without metal inserts will be the first thing to go.  Shimano does this with some of their smaller reels but they're still name brand and expensive reels.

Composite material has its advantages and its place.  If a modern reel could be made without plastic it would cost five times as much.  I'm all in favor of fishing being a more expensive and elitist activity but some would disagree.

The Penn Spinfisher greenies have been expensive and in high demand for decades.  Now the Z series are starting to catch up.  

-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on June 29, 2020, 05:48:34 PM
The Penn Spinfisher greenies have been expensive and in high demand for decades.  Now the Z series are starting to catch up.  

And the SS series also. And parts for all three series are becoming more and more scarce because...yes...parts on these reels do fail. I wish folks(myself included) would find other reels to fish, and save those parts for restorations. I still find it very interesting that you can buy three South Bend Classics for the price of one Spinfisher, and the Classic is actually the better built reel. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Jenx

In my original post about the 430, prior to rambling about the Penn Battle II, I said I thought $100+ was too much money to spend on what I consider an outdated, light tackle, freshwater reel.

Since then you guys have mentioned, corrosion, cheaper parts, lower quality of metal, etc. Now keep in mind I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious, but what does any of that have to do with a light tackle freshwater reels?

How important is the quality of the metal in a freshwater reel? How often do you actually need to open one up and give it a full cleaning? Again, I'm asking because I'm curious.

foakes

Quote from: Jenx on June 29, 2020, 10:36:14 PM
You guys have mentioned, corrosion, cheaper parts, lower quality of metal, etc. Now keep in mind I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious, but what does any of that have to do with a light tackle freshwater reels?

Obviously...nothing, Andy

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

I still find it very interesting that you can buy three South Bend Classics for the price of one Spinfisher, and the Classic is actually the better built reel. :-\[/color]
[/quote]

Mo, Shhhhhhh. You've found a gem in the rock pile. Ha! Kiddin dude. Doubt we'll see the price on South Bends go up. Though, ya never know...

Jenx, you'er mostly right, IMO. My guess would be 1 service/year on light fw spinners. Still, there may be more rust problems on cheap metal parts in the long run, even in fw. Composite rotors can break if the reel is dropped. Gear boxes can crack too. Cheap composite materials my not hold up to uv light exposure over time. Do you ever put excessive stress on a fw reel when you snag-up or, better yet, hook onea them unexpected big-uns? Too much pressure's godda be bad for the internal components supporting the spool shaft and gears.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

I stick with the older quality worm gear driven reels like fulcrum brake Cardinals, Shakespeares, Penns, Dams, etc. because even though I'm fishing a light or ultra light as intended, if I hook into one of Greg's big-uns, I would just as soon land it rather than end up with no fish and a pile of melted gook primed for trash can.  ;) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

I think a good test of any reel is to drop it in the sand, dunk it in saltwater to get the sand out, leave it lying around in a moist environment and see how long it takes to freeze up or start grinding.  Some were made for it and some weren't.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on June 30, 2020, 05:46:19 AM
I think a good test of any reel is to drop it in the sand, dunk it in saltwater to get the sand out, leave it lying around in a moist environment and see how long it takes to freeze up or start grinding.  Some were made for it and some weren't.
-steve

;) Most weren't made for that kind of abuse & neglect.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bryan Young

One thing that hasn't been addressed is the drag.  The Penn SS has one larger drag washer versus 2 little drag washers.  The Penn SS series ultralight reel, to me, has an a very smooth drag system as lower drag numbers, but can also be fished a little heavier if need to be without getting jerky like others.

I still have my 420SS that I picked up in high school for ultralight 1# test line fishing except now I fish 2# and 4# with 4# or 6# fluorocarbon leader.  My eyes and hands are not so good any more to tie such tiny line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wfjord

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 30, 2020, 06:44:40 PM
One thing that hasn't been addressed is the drag.  The Penn SS has one larger drag washer versus 2 little drag washers.

As does the 714Z & 716Z.

Alto Mare

Also, keep in mind the Z series has zero wobble with spool and rotor.
One of the best reel in my opinion even better than some older models that were mentioned above.

But everyone has their own opinion and there isn't anything wrong with that.
The 714z and 716z have 6 lb of drag, one washer will do just fine.
The 420SS and 430SS are designed like the Z series... great reels.
The earlier 750SS had a ss pinion, everything was fine until they replaced it with a brass pinion.
A stainless steel shaft will eventually wear out the inner side of that pinion, but it takes time.
That is when the spool wobbles a little.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jenx

Quote from: oc1 on June 30, 2020, 05:46:19 AM
-steve

My 720 (blue one) has passed that test. I did that this past fathers day weekend, and not for the first time. I dropped it in the sand Saturday morning. Dunked in the surf to clean it off, and then proceeded to fish it the rest of the morning. I just gave it a quick hose down when I got home, and then took it out the next morning and fished it again.

I'm not sure why this reel isn't getting more love than it does. It still sell for less than $50 (I'm pretty sure I got mine for $30). Looking at ebay's past listings this reel has the least value of all the Z series and SS series reels. Is that just because it's the only reel out of those two series that doesn't have any ball bearings? For me that's a selling point. One less part I have to worry about. I think part of my initial complaint about the price of the 430ss, is that I own one, bought it a few years ago before the prices started to inflate, and IMO it's not worth twice the price of the 720.

oc1

Quote from: Jenx on July 01, 2020, 05:19:03 AM
[720 (blue one) has passed that test..... I'm not sure why this reel isn't getting more love than it does.

I don't own and have never gotten down into the weeds with one.  The thing that made me uninterested is simply because it's not green or black/gold.  Yeah, stupidity.  They're sort of our there on their own.  A sleeping giant.

Speaking of desirably, why don't we ever hear from you about Curado E.
-steve