Penn SS or Z reels made in USA. Jump in Value/Desrability

Started by Fishgolfman, June 12, 2020, 06:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

Quote from: Jenx on July 01, 2020, 05:19:03 AM
Quote from: oc1 on June 30, 2020, 05:46:19 AM
I think a good test of any reel is to drop it in the sand, dunk it in saltwater to get the sand out, leave it lying around in a moist environment and see how long it takes to freeze up or start grinding.  Some were made for it and some weren't.
-steve
My 720 (blue one) has passed that test. I did that this past fathers day weekend, and not for the first time. I dropped it in the sand Saturday morning. Dunked in the surf to clean it off, and then proceeded to fish it the rest of the morning. I just gave it a quick hose down when I got home, and then took it out the next morning and fished it again.

I'm not sure why this reel isn't getting more love than it does. It still sell for less than $50 (I'm pretty sure I got mine for $30). Looking at ebay's past listings this reel has the least value of all the Z series and SS series reels. Is that just because it's the only reel out of those two series that doesn't have any ball bearings? For me that's a selling point. One less part I have to worry about. I think part of my initial complaint about the price of the 430ss, is that I own one, bought it a few years ago before the prices started to inflate, and IMO it's not worth twice the price of the 720.

The 720 and 722 are rather different animals than the others in the 700 series which share DNA with the 420/430ss.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jenx on July 01, 2020, 05:19:03 AM
Quote from: oc1 on June 30, 2020, 05:46:19 AM
I think a good test of any reel is to drop it in the sand, dunk it in saltwater to get the sand out, leave it lying around in a moist environment and see how long it takes to freeze up or start grinding.  Some were made for it and some weren't.
-steve

My 720 (blue one) has passed that test. I did that this past fathers day weekend, and not for the first time. I dropped it in the sand Saturday morning. Dunked in the surf to clean it off, and then proceeded to fish it the rest of the morning. I just gave it a quick hose down when I got home, and then took it out the next morning and fished it again.

I'm not sure why this reel isn't getting more love than it does. It still sell for less than $50 (I'm pretty sure I got mine for $30). Looking at ebay's past listings this reel has the least value of all the Z series and SS series reels. Is that just because it's the only reel out of those two series that doesn't have any ball bearings? For me that's a selling point. One less part I have to worry about. I think part of my initial complaint about the price of the 430ss, is that I own one, bought it a few years ago before the prices started to inflate, and IMO it's not worth twice the price of the 720.

The 720 and 722 are nice reel, I know these are designed for freshwater, but some friends, including myself do use them in saltwater and I don't see why not?
Bushing will always do better than roller bearing in saltwater.

I would not complain too much on cost, they usually go up when we talk about them, we have lots of watchers.

I'm still looking for the black 720z, I saw one but the price was out there.

On another note, a new 706 greenie just sold the other day for I believe $410+ shipping 🙄... I would personally not go that high, but money doesn't have the same meaning to all.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Aiala on June 29, 2020, 03:29:33 PM
I have all the original SS models 420 thru 850... some NIB... BUT I have never been able to lay my hands on an all-metal 440SS. Supposedly they do exist, but if so, they're true unicorn unobtanium.  :P

~A~

Hello Aiala, same here on the 440SS.
Some say it never existed with the metal frame...I'm not sure, but up to now I think they're right.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jenx

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 01, 2020, 12:13:03 PM
Some say it never existed with the metal frame...I'm not sure, but up to now I think they're right.

Sal

Below is a link to a thread in the Stripers forum from a few years ago discussing the 440ss. Maybe you have seen it already, but a person who I believe works for Penn chimed in, and said they had researched it, and could not find any proof that a metal body 440SS was ever made. They even posted pictures from Penn's catalogues from that era, and the 440SS wasn't shown in any of them.

However mystic parts does have a picture of one. I wonder if Penn, when initially designing these reels, made a prototype of a 440SS, and then for whatever reason it wasn't put into production. A picture of that prototype eventually made it onto the web, and the rumor of the 440SS started.

That's my wild theory for the day.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/547797-cant-find-an-all-metal-440ss/

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jenx on July 01, 2020, 03:29:27 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 01, 2020, 12:13:03 PM

Sal

Below is a link to a thread in the Stripers forum from a few years ago discussing the 440ss. Maybe you have seen it already, but a person who I believe works for Penn chimed in, and said they had researched it, and could not find any proof that a metal body 440SS was ever made. They even posted pictures from Penn's catalogues from that era, and the 440SS wasn't shown in any of them.

However mystic parts does have a picture of one. I wonder if Penn, when initially designing these reels, made a prototype of a 440SS, and then for whatever reason it wasn't put into production. A picture of that prototype eventually made it onto the web, and the rumor of the 440SS started.

That's my wild theory for the day.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/547797-cant-find-an-all-metal-440ss/
Hello Jenx, no I have not seen it on SOL, but I haven't been on there for about a year or two.
I did see the 440ss on Mystic, but that might be the case of someone replacing the sticker on a 450SS, I'm not sure.
If I ever get to see one io close that would do it for me.
As of now I do not believe it was ever in production, but have seen some strange stuff come out from Penn in the past.

Maybe Tony or Steve could settle this for us😏.

Best,

Sal

Benni3

My 440ss is graphite and my 430ss is metal,,,, ;) but the reason I don't use them much is "wieght" the pfueger patriarch 3500 is 7.3oz on a 10ft black hole Suzuki rod 7.9oz=14.12oz and a 2500 6.2oz on a 9ft tfo sea run rod 7.3oz=13.5,,,, :) when you're casting all day that's a big difference on your back,,,, :D the 3500 I have had for 5years and i serviced it 1time a year it's a pain last time it needed a bail spring and drag washers,,,but order a couple more because parts available are limited now,,,,there's advantages and disadvantages anyway you go,,,,,,,, ;D

larry3142

Quote from: foakes on June 27, 2020, 10:28:06 PM
Quote from: Jenx on June 27, 2020, 10:08:44 PM
I just went on Ebay to see what my 430ss is going for. There is one at auction right now that is up $96. That thing will probably crack $100, and it's not NOS, nor does it come with its original box.

That's a lot of money for an ultralight reel that is over 30 years old. I doubt I'd spend that much money on a modern trout/pan fish reel.

That might be true, Jenz --

But it is also true that the tough little 430 - 420 size reels will still be bringing in the fish -- when the new Tupperware plastic marvels will be buried in a landfill.

Materials, parts availability, engineering, simplicity, and proven capability for generations -- is what separates the drama of has-beens and wanna-be slick reels -- from a trusted old friend.   I bought one on ebay about a year ago in mint condition ,I dont think the guy knew what he had but I got it for thirty five dollor    its a beatty

As we get the chance to restore, service, and use these old Penns -- and other quality brands from the 60's - 70's - 80's -- we could realize that the cheapest reel is not always the best reel.

There is a reason why that old Penn 430 is around $100 -- the bidders know the reason.

IMO.

Best,

Fred

Midway Tommy

I picked up a NIB 420SS with an extra spool, & it still had the Penn logoed packing paper, three or four years ago for $15 at a fishing tackle flea market. I've been offered $180 for it & still have it, NIB, unused. Some might say, "That was when two fools met", especially my wife.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 07, 2021, 08:52:48 PM
I picked up a NIB 420SS with an extra spool, & it still had the Penn logoed packing paper, three or four years ago for $15 at a fishing tackle flea market. I've been offered $180 for it & still have it, NIB, unused. Some might say, "That was when two fools met", especially my wife.  ;D

Good one, Tom!  Was your wife's comment before or after you turned down the $180 offer?😄😄😄

Over the last 13 months since the pandemic deal started — I have been transitioning to working mainly on quality spinner's from the 50's into the late 80's.

Moving out everything else —

Even though I already had around 1000 Mitchell's, DQ's, Cardinals, ABU's, & Penns — plus organized parts for all of those — it never hurts to have a few more, so that folks will have more to choose from, right?

So I have purchased or traded for just under 200 reels in the last 13 months.  

Was pretty busy with other priorities — so these just were tossed on 3 large shelves, until yesterday — when I decided to take a look at them — and separate them into groups (the 3 shelves were beginning to sag).  

DQ 110's, 110N's, Microlite 265's, 1000, 1001, 221's, all '00's, '01's, '02's.  Cardinals, ABU's.  A few quality oddballs like Daiwa mini-mites, 500C - 1000C's, Sigma Whisker Titan's, Eagle Claws, Luxors, Centaures, Shimanos, etc.  Plus a few crates of Penn's.

About time to toss them into the on-deck for sale cycle.

Can't go wrong keeping good quality spinning gear — they only go up in value.

You can't pay too much for a clean, quality spinner — or too little for a rough one.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Fred, dibs on the Ocean City reel and box.  Let me know how much.  I'll follow your instructions for payment.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on April 07, 2021, 09:52:51 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 07, 2021, 08:52:48 PM
I picked up a NIB 420SS with an extra spool, & it still had the Penn logoed packing paper, three or four years ago for $15 at a fishing tackle flea market. I've been offered $180 for it & still have it, NIB, unused. Some might say, "That was when two fools met", especially my wife.  ;D

Good one, Tom!  Was your wife's comment before or after you turned down the $180 offer?😄😄😄

Over the last 13 months since the pandemic deal started — I have been transitioning to working mainly on quality spinner's from the 50's into the late 80's.

Moving out everything else —

Even though I already had around 1000 Mitchell's, DQ's, Cardinals, ABU's, & Penns — plus organized parts for all of those — it never hurts to have a few more, so that folks will have more to choose from, right?

DQ 110's, 110N's, Microlite 265's, 1000, 1001, 221's, all '00's, '01's, '02's.  Cardinals, ABU's.  A few quality oddballs like Daiwa mini-mites, 500C - 1000C's, Sigma Whisker Titan's, Eagle Claws, Luxors, Centaures, Shimanos, etc.  Plus a few crates of Penn's.

About time to toss them into the on-deck for sale cycle.

Can't go wrong keeping good quality spinning gear — they only go up in value.

You can't pay too much for a clean, quality spinner — or too little for a rough one.

Best, Fred

After I turned down the offer.   :D  Interestingly enough, she was the one that spotted it and a couple of other boxed reels on that table. One was a NIB 712 w/ex spool & the Penn logoed packing paper for $25, & the other one was a NIB ABU Cardinal 52 for $15. I tried to get him down on the 712 but he was pretty proud of it & wouldn't budge. I've seen those 52s go for as much as $250, although their prices haven't been quite as high since the Wuhan Virus fiasco.

If you run into a nice 720 with the round badge for reasonable, I've been looking for awhile but can't quite seem to snag one at a decent price. I've got a box it would go nicely with.   ;)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on April 07, 2021, 11:13:20 PM
Fred, dibs on the Ocean City reel and box.  Let me know how much.  I'll follow your instructions for payment.  Dominick

OK, it is yours, Dominick —

I will send it out Friday.

It is an unused, new, OC 950 Monoline with grey-blue sideplates.  Box, paperwork.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

larry3142

I have a 430SS my brother sent me form Florida he picked it up on Ebay for $50 bucks in excellent condition,I love this reel for its high speed.Im a Dam Quick an Mitchell lover at heart.I have a dam quick 1st and second version of a 265.110 and a 110n and several 308 and 408.Its a tough desion which one I like best but I got to say the 265 Ive had since new for my 6th grade present from my father in the sixties.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Dominick on April 07, 2021, 11:13:20 PMFred, dibs on the Ocean City reel and box.  Let me know how much.  I'll follow your instructions for payment.  Dominick
Dang  You found waldo , good eye !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare