Mitchell 308 main gear.

Started by Normslanding, June 27, 2020, 04:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normslanding

Hi all, A friend just brought me a 308. The anti reverse teeth on the main gear are almost all gone. So I thought surely it would be a easy fix.
Well I found a couple of main gears on line but but the drive pin on the back of the gear is larger than the one in this reel. The pin on this gear is small (2.95mm). The ones I see on line look to be three times that size. The ones on line are marked "Taiwan", could that be the issue?
In any case I need a gear, can anyone help.
     Thanks to you all,
                Dave

P.S.  I have not opened a Mitchell reel in more 50 years.

foakes

Should have any parts you need, Dave --

Yeah, Taiwan will not work, unfortunately -- same Mo. Number name, different parts.

Let me know what you need with photos and descriptions -- Glad to help, if possible.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Normslanding

Fred, Thanks,   Alan has helped me in the past with photos. For some reason I just can't get pictures on this site. Maybe it's my learning disability.
If you could send me a massage (dspangler001@tampabay.rr.com) I will send you a picture asap.
   Thanks for the help.
            DS

foakes

OK, DS --

Email sent.

When you send me photos -- I will see what I have, then post pics on site for others to see also.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Here is a new main gear, Dave --

Is that all you need?  Or anything else also?

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Normslanding

Fred, The main gear got here today. The reel is back together and working great. My freind Jim is thrilled and gald to be able to use a old friend.
      Thanks again for the help,
                       Dave Spangler

foakes

Thanks for the report, Dave --

Those are really solid, sweet, and exceptional little reels.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.