Started by steelfish, July 02, 2020, 07:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on August 12, 2020, 11:16:36 PM
It looks great Alex! 8)
thanks Mo

Quote from: RowdyW on August 12, 2020, 11:40:37 PM
Nice rod Alex, and great idea for raffle among fishing buddies.         Rudy
yep, they liked the game so, I will make some more in few weeks, kind of busy right now with daywork and reelrepairs

Quote from: Fishy247 on August 12, 2020, 10:38:26 PM
Good lookin stuff Alex! How did you get that pattern on the buttwrap? It looks to me like a varigated thread in a diamond wrap. It looks sweet!
Mike
you just hit right int he nail amigo, it a old variegated thick and flat thread from Gudebrod called it Buttwrap (go figure LOL), dwight sent me some few months ago and saw the opportunitty to use it

Quote from: mhc on August 13, 2020, 05:40:49 AM
Nice work Alex, very professional looking finish.
Mike
thanks mike

Quote from: thorhammer on August 13, 2020, 01:19:59 AM
Compadre, you have really hit into a higher gear with your builds. VERY nice rod.
really apreciated amigo John, part of the experience on every build

Quote from: bhale1 on August 13, 2020, 03:50:25 AM
alex,
WOW!
I agree with John, you have gone from wrapping rods in a homemade box, to turning out high quality rods. Nice work....
bet you dont have trouble selling raffle tickets for your work.... Your friend probably line up!!!
Brett
thanks for the kind words, well my friends are as poor as I am so, yes they line up but pay the ticked on 2 payments LOL, joke aside, it was fun, my next build for the raffle will be a vertical speed jigging rod, as soon as I have a "free" time from my current reel repairs and rod builds.
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on July 03, 2020, 03:07:00 AM
thanks guys

most of my friends cant afford to buy a custom rod, so this one was in a Raffle between 20 fishing friends to have each ticket priced cheap.

This is just a FREAKING FANTASTIC THING !!

thrasher

Quote from: steelfish on July 05, 2020, 01:39:27 AM
thanks guys, yep that buttwrap ended up looking really good.

I covered a whole 8' rod in that same gudebrod buttwrap with a simple green and yellow on the guides, it makes an interesting pattern as it tapers down to the tip. I know most guys on here would scoff at all the extra weight of a full wrap and epoxy but I like it. You do fantastic work by the way!!!

steelfish

Quote from: thrasher on February 21, 2021, 11:06:21 PM
Quote from: steelfish on July 05, 2020, 01:39:27 AM
thanks guys, yep that buttwrap ended up looking really good.

I covered a whole 8' rod in that same gudebrod buttwrap with a simple green and yellow on the guides, it makes an interesting pattern as it tapers down to the tip. I know most guys on here would scoff at all the extra weight of a full wrap and epoxy but I like it. You do fantastic work by the way!!!

Im not munch into "do-the-things-by-the-book" so, Im interested to see some pictures of that rod.

I think it might work on a HD or extra heavy rod since it wont flex that much.
The Baja Guy

thrasher

This rod was definitely not by the books from the start, It actually started as two separate rods. I had one rod that the tip section broke off before I could finish wrapping it, it only had the foam and reel seat. I was gonna make a kite rod out of it but decided to cut it off about a foot above the fore grip. I also had a old yellow 7' Hurricane spinning rod that I stripped down but never got around to re-wrapping it. So I cut a bit of the butt section off and epoxied the handle section from the other into the butt of the Hurricane rod making a 9'ish acid rod out of it for my Shimano Speedmaster II. I fished it last summer a couple times but plan on using it this summer at the Boynton inlet for sure, I'll let you know how it holds up. Also, in my previous post I forgot I did a red under wrap, if I do another one I will only do green and yellow with no under wrap.

Sorry for the bad pics but I couldn't figure out how to get the right size on imgur. I used to use my gallery for photos but I don't have my gallery tab in the blue box up top any more. Probably for the better, I feel a little shy to show my work up close after seeing all the beautiful rods you create.

steelfish

Quote from: thrasher on February 22, 2021, 01:04:55 PM
......... I feel a little shy to show my work up close after seeing all the beautiful rods you create.

dont say that amigo, that rod looks terrific, I actually Love the rod, really, I love everything that is not made by the books.

pretty sure its a Conversation starter

you can also try to attach your picture clicking on the "additional options" when you are posting a comment, some option will appear and the last one let you attach a picture (up to 4 I recall) as when you send an email  to someone, they will appear on the message in the original size.
The Baja Guy