Newer Shimano budget ultralight review and teardown FX1000FC

Started by The Fishing Hobby, July 28, 2020, 10:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Thought y'all might be interested. Basically the same reel as the newer Sienna 1000 but with one less ball bearing. For a $20 reel it isn't too bad really.
I just uploaded the video today. Only a couple of things I personally don't like about the reel (subjective really).

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

boon

Quite amazing, aren't they....

When you consider that if they're selling them for $20, they're just as likely buying them for $10; the wholesaler is probably making 100% as well, so there's a good chance the reel costs under $5 to make.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: boon on August 11, 2020, 01:22:12 AM
Quite amazing, aren't they....

When you consider that if they're selling them for $20, they're just as likely buying them for $10; the wholesaler is probably making 100% as well, so there's a good chance the reel costs under $5 to make.
Could be... economy of scale is huge for a low cost good quality reel from a major industry player I would imagine.

nelz

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on July 28, 2020, 10:31:34 PMFor a $20 reel it isn't too bad really. Only a couple of things I personally don't like about the reel (subjective really).

How is the frame as far as flexing?

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: nelz on September 01, 2020, 04:55:45 AM
Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on July 28, 2020, 10:31:34 PMFor a $20 reel it isn't too bad really. Only a couple of things I personally don't like about the reel (subjective really).

How is the frame as far as flexing?
I actually talked about that in the video, but it is about as rigid as you will find for a plastic body ultralight reel.

philaroman

never had a flex problem w/ older 1000/2000-size well past the size-class (20#braid/12# fluoro)
if they flex a bit when the drag is screaming, I'm definitely NOT cranking the handle, so it's not really an issue
it's the 4000-size w/ 30-50# braid & locked down drag, that serious flex-fear kicks in

EDIT: yes, personal youthful experience -- one good ray or slammer blue,
is all it took, for the gears in a TX-4000F/FA(?) to be "never the same"

nelz

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on September 01, 2020, 11:49:49 AM
Quote from: nelz on September 01, 2020, 04:55:45 AMHow is the frame as far as flexing?
I actually talked about that in the video, but it is about as rigid as you will find for a plastic body ultralight reel.

Ok, thanks, its been a while since I viewed it. Asking because I read a review that complained about excessive flexing. I'm looking for a good UL that won't break the bank.

Ron Jones

If someone catches a fish that flexes a 100 sized reel then maybe they should realize a knfe at a gun fight is rarely good for the guy with the knife!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman

not with Shimano, LOL
a 1000 is generally same body/gearbox as 2000
same foot/stand supports a smaller mass, so it's effectively stronger
and smaller rotor w/ same wall-thickness is significantly stronger & more rigid

Ron Jones

That's what I'm saying. If your using a 1000 to fish for bluegill and a 3 pound bullhead comes along you should be alright. If your fishing in an area where you might run into a 20 pound flathead then you should have a bigger reel to start with.
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

happyhooker

Did not see this post earlier; it is very informative.  I'm not usually in the market for a newer reel like this, but if I was stuck somewhere without my usual gear, it's nice to know a $20 bill would get you something that would work for a little while at least.  Like the brass pinion, and general quality seems OK for a newer plastic reel; yes, I would check the ergonomics before buying.  Might be a reel for someone where you don't want total junk (kid; someone who wants to "borrow" a reel) yet want to keep the outlay low.

Frank

philaroman

Quote from: happyhooker on August 08, 2022, 02:30:50 AM...Like the brass pinion, and general quality seems OK for a newer plastic reel; yes, I would check the ergonomics before buying.  Might be a reel for someone where you don't want total junk (kid; someone who wants to "borrow" a reel) yet want to keep the outlay low.

Frank
Frank, check the schematics before buying
make sure the pinion is a separate part -- then, it's probably brass
was not even aware that Shimano did "roto-pinions", 
until I opened up an "old modern" cheap one 
to discover an alloy pinion permanently affixed to the rotor

happyhooker

From the vid, the pinion is definitely separate from the rotor, and at least looks like brass or bronze.

Frank