6x12 Floating Dock(Rail Ideas?)

Started by jgp12000, August 02, 2020, 09:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I built a floating dock this weekend for our pond,I am looking for ideas for rails? I was thinking of something sleek with steel cable, if anyone has any suggestions will be appreciated !

RowdyW

PVC ??  Weather proof, rust proof, needs no maintanence.           Rudy

Swami805

If it were me I'd use wood, I'm sure I'd want to attach stuff to it. That looks really nice, you have some skills!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

I agree.  That looks so nice that you should consider staying with the wood.  Posts with knee braces and a top rail.
-s

Dominick

Very nice work.  What is the purpose of the opening?  I agree wood posts and to keep the weight down woven stainless steel cable.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jgp12000

Dominick,the opening is for a trolling motor/battery.I am going to add a metal plate for the motor to fasten to.I just discovered via pinterest the railing I was considering is called "cable railing" .All the components I have found so far, are pricey ! I like a nautical look with rope but, I need a top rail for rod holders.

Dominick

Ah! A fishing platform...floating dock hah!  Sounds like fun.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jgp12000

OK brainstormers,engineers,and homesteaders this is how it sits,now how to move it to the pond...maybe 800 lbs?I only have a 5x8 trailer but have access to a car trailer?

RowdyW

Turn it upside down and load on a trailer that's capable of carring over 800 lbs. How far do you have to go and what kind of roads. Highways? Most states the float will have to be registered as a boat & issued a ID decal if any kind of motor is ever installed.                Rudy

Gfish

You're adding rails to it, why? Kids, oldsters or rough waters? Will people swim from it? Will there then be a ladder?
Yeah, how far do ya gotta go to the pond.
Look's like some great work so far.
What'er the floats made of?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

If you have access to some large diameter pipe or logs you could take off the cleats, flip it over and roll it to the pond.
800lbs isn't that heavy, maybe try your trailer with the tractor, go slow
Or you could change your name to Noah and wait for rain.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

:)  Wet down the grass , strap on 2 leaf blowers and treat it like a air boat  !  ::)

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 03, 2020, 12:01:33 AM
Dominick,the opening is for a trolling motor/battery.I am going to add a metal plate for the motor to fasten to.I just discovered via pinterest the railing I was considering is called "cable railing" .All the components I have found so far, are pricey ! I like a nautical look with rope but, I need a top rail for rod holders.

2 inch pvc pipe with 45 degree sanitary wye  [pole holder ] for the stations and rope for railing !

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jgp12000

oldmanjoe,
that is the best idea yet!

jgp12000

Gfish,the rails are just that for gkids and oldsters,300 yards to pond.

Lunker Larry

Can you put a couple straps around it and lift it with the bucket loader. Once off the ground strap it so it doesn't swing around and drive slowly.
How far to the where you're launching it?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?