4/0 Senator drag

Started by theoatteejae, December 16, 2011, 07:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theoatteejae

Alan,
I have a Penn Senator 4/0 - 113H, red side plated, which is in dire need of a drag upgrade. Still a great reel after 40 years of sporadic use, but I only have about 15lb of drag left. Not enough when using 60lb braid and trying to get good mackerel in before they get sharked. What do you suggest?
theoatteejae.

alantani

make sure you have a "1+5" drag stack.  you can also use a #6-875 drag washer underneath the main gear, then add cal's grease to all the drag washers.  be aware that 15 pounds for 350 yards of 50# mono is the best working load for this reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

joel8080

Hi Alan

How do you figure how much you increased the drag of a reel by using an Aluminum frame, Stainless shaft, Carbon fiber washers and any other goodies you can add on or is there no increase in the drag number you just have a stronger reel?.

Happy Holidays to All.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

theoatteejae

Alan,
You've lost me with the terminology. Current washer stack from the star down is 'pressure collar' [for want of a better description], wave washer, flatted metal, fibre, tabbed metal, fibre, flatted metal, fibre, and under the gear a thin plastic washer between it and the dog.  All original with brass showing through the chrome on the metal washers. One fibre washer has a chunk out of it. The bush in the main gear probably has about 5 thou play in it, but the main shaft has no play on it's axle. Gear teeth on main and pinion are in excellent condition. Are the items you mention a Carbontex kit, or original parts? What is "cals" grease? The 15lb drag I mentioned was over a rod and measured through a digital spring balance with 10m of line out, and I can easily walk backwards with the drag hand tightened to the max. When the reel was new I was able to break 40lb mono over the rod, fishing for yellow tail kings straight up and down in 20 - 30m of water [though mostly they reefed you before that happened], and would like some of that power back. Does the 15lb for 350yds you refer to mean when 350yds of line is out? Any fish that far from the boat here would be odds on to end up shark dinner. Most of my fishing now is within 50-70m of rocky outcrops and reefs, and whilst line capacity is still required in case one hooks a monster that fights clean, many fish need to be turned before they get back to shelter. 
Regards,
theoatteejae.

Norcal Pescador

Have you seen this tutorial? It should answer all of your questions.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.0
It sounds like you have the old drag washer configuration of 3 drag washers.
But just ask if you still need help.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

theoatteejae

Thanks, Norcal, will check it out. I had a bit of a search around yesterday but being new at this, wasn't sure where to start. Yes, drag is all old original gear. Had a few 30kg plus giant trevally chasing cast lures last time out, and thought it time to do something with the drag before one of those grabbed a live bait that is normally attached to that reel. Come to think of it, probably still be in big trouble with a new drag that close to rocks. They love nothing better than taking your terminal gear home.
theoatteejae.
P.S. Thanks also, Alan.

theoatteejae

Alan,
Had a look at the tutorial. The new drag stack in photo 1 appears to be short 1 flat slotted washer compared to the old one, and the tension spring [my wave washer?] does not appear to be there either. Are the new carbon washers triple stacked and only 2 metal ones used? Is the red washer a new one to go under the main gear? Can I purchase a kit [with the correct grease] in Australia or directly from you?
theoatteejae.

alantani

cal's grease and the penn drag set should be readily available in australia.  the principle is important.  you need to alternate carbon fiber with metal, and keyed metal with slotted.  bellville or wave washers are extra and serve mainly as spacers.

theoatteejae

Alan,
Had a bit of a look around, found a couple of possible suppliers. Your site was at the top of my original google search, which is why I came here. Will keep it in my favourites. Know what you mean about the dog spring. Once spent 3 hours grovelling around on the workshop floor with a speaker magnet to recover the escapee. Didn't learn though - had to do the same for a spring out of my daughter's Shimano eggbeater.
Thank for your help, will let you know the end result.
theoatteejae.

Dawn

Here is how the old drag set was stacked and how new drags should be stacked...might help you:

http://smoothdrag.com/installation.html

Dawn
Dawn