Two New Avet Raptors Arrive Next Week

Started by tarpon one, August 15, 2020, 08:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarpon one

I'm pretty excited I've got two new Avet Raptors arriving next week. The first is a JX6/3 MC Raptor that I plan on using for GOM bottom fishing and the second is an SXJ MC Raptor that I plan on using for inshore snook, redfish and offshore snapper. I've been told these reels are not very well lubricated as they come from Avet and that I should send them out for service before I use them.I've been watching Mark Mayo's videos on service and I'm confident I can do a pre-use service if need be. My question is just how important is it to lubricate new Avet reels before using them. And thanks for your advice.

akfish

Avets are lubricated as well as most reels, and better now than when they first come out. However, it's always good to pre-service fishing reels: paint a thin coat of grease on all internal metal parts, etc.  Also, most people on this board want to put Cal's Drag grease on the drag washer, something that Avet does not recommend but something that helps fight corrosion and tends to smooth the drag. Be forewarned: I love my Raptors, but they can be tricky to reassemble
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

tarpon one

Thanks for your response. Your warning has me a little concerned especially when I see that you run a reel repair shop and you consider reassembly tricky. In Mark Mayo's videos he made it look pretty straightforward.
I think I'll still give it a try. I enjoy learning and as long as I don't lose any parts the worst that happens is I send a box full of parts back to Avet for reassembly. As the saying goes there is a "first time" for everything.

akfish

Once you finish the lubrication and attempt to reassemble the Raptor, you'll see that it can be tricky to get everything to align because several things are moving. It's not complicated at all -- but getting the frame, drag plate, and pinion gears to mesh correctly can be frustrating. I've done lots of these reels but it's still frustrating at times.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

RUSTY OLD COLT

The  SXJ raptor is a great reel here on Long Island. , I have mine spooled with 30 lb power pro braid and use it for blackfish , stripers and blues .Make sure you lube the drag washer with some cals drag lube , all the ones I have serviced were dry .

tarpon one

I don't have Cal's but I do have a 1 oz. tub of Shimano Star Drag Grease that I plan to use. My understanding of applying grease is that you apply it sparingly and then wipe off any excess. And in the case of the Raptors it looks like I would be applying grease to both sides of the drag washer.

tarpon one

Both reels disassembled, lightly lubricated, reassembled and the good news is everything works as well as prior to disassembly and the freespool on the JX Raptor is significantly improved. I'm not sure why I didn't lubricate the bearing whatsoever. I also elected to NOT apply grease to the drag disc which is something that it appears most on this board do lubricate. I figure if Avet thought it better to lubricate the drag they would have done so. I'll know more after some big fish(hopefully).

MarkT

Well, Avet's drags are made of carbon fiber just like everyone elses.  Of course, unlike Avet, Shimano, Daiwa, Okuma, Penn, Accurate all grease their carbon fiber drag washers.  But hey, maybe Avet knows more than all the others.  I would disagree with that but if you want to do as Avet does, well, do so.  My 7 Avets all have greased drags!  Avet's argument in keeping them dry is to have the maximum drag possible.  You give up a little with greased drags but the grease makes them smoother and keeps salt out.  Too bad Avet doesn't make the rest of the reel capable of using all that drag they're trying to get... at least the Raptors come close!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!