What are the differences between the EX 4/0 2's & the EX30's?

Started by Shanker, August 26, 2020, 10:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanker

I have two 4/0's (A Blue EXW 4/0 2 and an even older with stamped markings Purple EX 4/0 2).

Both of them had been dormant for almost 10 years until a few weeks ago when I had the mono topshots removed and fresh line put on them to take my kiddo on his first offshore trip and the reels performed good.

The only problem is that the drag seemed to increase too much to fast (causing me to lose several fish).

Are these reels I should consider selling to step up to the EX30's?  I'm wondering because I'm going to buy a new rod for the purple one and it's just got me thinkin' (which often gets me in trouble).

I searched thru this entire subforum and didn't find any kind of info on the differences.

(The First pic I attached is my kid with my EXW 4/0 2 on a Seeker XXXH which has a pretty good bend in it with a blackfin on the end and the Purple EX 4/0 2 in a rod holder.  Second pic was our catch.  The group of 16 anglers on a private charter completely filled the boat's fish box up, mostly with bonita which are not pictured.)

alantani

the reels do ramp up quickly.  not much you can to about it if you want a heavier drag at the top end.  one thing that might help is to mark the drag amounts on the quadrant, say at 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.  alternatively, file down the cam by hand to give you a smoother transition.  if you overshoot, you've likely ruined the reel, as parts for this reel are probably non-existent.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shanker

what parts in these reel's can be ruined from use?

and the better question would be, how do I make them bomb-proof to guarantee years of service ahead?   

alantani

bearings are the most common problem.  a light coat of grease everywhere else should minimize corrosive damage.  pretty standard stuff. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on August 27, 2020, 02:24:01 AM"  if you overshoot, you've likely ruined the reel, as parts for this reel are probably non-existent. :-\"

The drag cams are the same for the EX  4/0, 30 and 50 and should be available still, if not I have a few extra.   The parts I need are the wire "C"clips that hold the drag plate to the spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain