Whisker SS

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 07, 2020, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Is it any good? I saw one for cheap and I'm looking for a good reliable light tackle reel.

(Edit: changing the name of the thread as it's ceased to be related to the 1600 model)
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

nelz

They have a stellar reputation, especially the drag, line-lay, and casting ability. A little too old school for me though.

philaroman

I think daiwa still makes 'em...  minimally changed for like 40(?) yrs.
not sure about 1600-size...  maybe, too much for F/W "light tackle" & not enough for salt
if it's cheap & good condition, get it now & figure out where it fits, later

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on September 07, 2020, 08:53:12 PM
I think daiwa still makes 'em...  minimally changed for like 40(?) yrs.
not sure about 1600-size...  maybe, too much for F/W "light tackle" & not enough for salt
if it's cheap & good condition, get it now & figure out where it fits, later
Seems noteworthy that not only do they still make them, they sell for BG prices new

philaroman

the smaller, "more finesse" you go, the more I like SS over BG
SS-750 is the only UL (a little big by current tastes, but still a true UL),
that I can think of w/ tall spool, 6-stack, and worm oscillation
external bail trip, small line roller & "boxy look" are old-skool
everything else is pretty modern & pretty good

philaroman

BTW, there were also fancy (tan/gold?) JDM models for a few years:
internal trip; big roller; nicer (machined?) handle; more bearings
if it's that, POUNCE/RARE!!!

JasonGotaProblem

The one I'm looking at is made in Japan of that matters, and is black and gold.
I wanna build a lighter saltwater rig. When I landed a slot redfish on my BG4000 it took away a bit of the fun knowing that since the hook was set, he was mine. There was no chance of him getting away. Is it crazy to want more of a challenge?

oc1

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 08, 2020, 12:53:13 AM
Is it crazy to want more of a challenge?
You don't need all of those amenities to have fun.
-steve

tincanary

These are great reels, but not for everybody if you're looking for overall smoothness.  If you want a workhorse that will last years, this is your spinner.  The reliability of this thing is right up there with the Mitchell 300 and Zebco /Abu Cardinal reels.  They have been in production relatively unchanged for 30 years.  Earlier models were made in Japan and the newer production units made in Thailand.  According to my research, the Thai model is better built than the Japanese model, if you can believe that.  I have no direct experience with the Japanese made reels so I can't comment on that personally.  You can really smooth these guys out good.  First, there's a plastic bushing that supports the worm gear, you can swap that out for a bearing.  Another one, the line roller comes unlubricated out of the box, give that a little bit of grease.  Carbontex and polished drag disks also make it better.  Various other internal parts can be polished to smooth it out as well. 

The main selling point of this reel, besides the drag, is that it uses a worm gear instead of an oscillating gear.  This lays the line in a way that makes it capable of exceptionally long casts.  It's also pretty light compared to other reels its size in spite of it being a 30 year old design.  I own a newer production SS700 and fish it on a 7'6" 4wt fly blank and it can cast the tiniest of baits with ease.  It's a great setup for stream trout, casting small spoons and spinners, small cranks, and jigs as well.  One of these days I will have to post a tutorial on it showing which areas to give attention. in order to smooth it out.  She may be ugly, but man can she cook.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: tincanary on November 18, 2020, 01:03:25 PM
These are great reels, but not for everybody if you're looking for overall smoothness.  If you want a workhorse that will last years, this is your spinner.  The reliability of this thing is right up there with the Mitchell 300 and Zebco /Abu Cardinal reels.  They have been in production relatively unchanged for 30 years.  Earlier models were made in Japan and the newer production units made in Thailand.  According to my research, the Thai model is better built than the Japanese model, if you can believe that.  I have no direct experience with the Japanese made reels so I can't comment on that personally.  You can really smooth these guys out good.  First, there's a plastic bushing that supports the worm gear, you can swap that out for a bearing.  Another one, the line roller comes unlubricated out of the box, give that a little bit of grease.  Carbontex and polished drag disks also make it better.  Various other internal parts can be polished to smooth it out as well. 

The main selling point of this reel, besides the drag, is that it uses a worm gear instead of an oscillating gear.  This lays the line in a way that makes it capable of exceptionally long casts.  It's also pretty light compared to other reels its size in spite of it being a 30 year old design.  I own a newer production SS700 and fish it on a 7'6" 4wt fly blank and it can cast the tiniest of baits with ease.  It's a great setup for stream trout, casting small spoons and spinners, small cranks, and jigs as well.  One of these days I will have to post a tutorial on it showing which areas to give attention. in order to smooth it out.  She may be ugly, but man can she cook.
Sadly I ended up passing on this one. Truth be told I was (and still kinda am) looking for an ultralight, and the 1600 is a bit too big for that category. I'd really like a 700 that i can put on a bass rod or something to play with while I'm waiting for something bigger to hit my main rig(s). But I have yet to find a 700 for a reasonable price. You've confirmed for me that its worth continuing to look for one.

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 18, 2020, 06:11:19 PM
Sadly I ended up passing on this one. Truth be told I was (and still kinda am) looking for an ultralight, and the 1600 is a bit too big for that category. I'd really like a 700 that i can put on a bass rod or something to play with while I'm waiting for something bigger to hit my main rig(s). But I have yet to find a 700 for a reasonable price. You've confirmed for me that its worth continuing to look for one.

You can still buy them brand new, the 700 and 1300 sizes run $105, but you can find them cheaper if you look around.  I got my 700 from FishUSA some months back on sale for $85.  For what I'm seeing used reels go for, you may be better off just buying a new one.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: tincanary on November 18, 2020, 07:08:58 PM
You can still buy them brand new, the 700 and 1300 sizes run $105, but you can find them cheaper if you look around.  I got my 700 from FishUSA some months back on sale for $85.  For what I'm seeing used reels go for, you may be better off just buying a new one.
Good point. I had been actively trying to find a "made in Japan" model. But now I'm hearing maybe that should not be the goal. Why are the thailand ones better?

And i was talking about this IRL the other day with one of my buddies, that I feel perfectly safe buying an old larger Penn reel used because they're made of big chunky hard to damage parts, so it could have been used roughly and still be just fine. Perhaps not the case with some of these smaller lighter reels? Maybe these more delicate models should be bought new.

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 18, 2020, 07:19:11 PM
Good point. I had been actively trying to find a "made in Japan" model. But now I'm hearing maybe that should not be the goal. Why are the thailand ones better?

And i was talking about this IRL the other day with one of my buddies, that I feel perfectly safe buying an old larger Penn reel used because they're made of big chunky hard to damage parts, so it could have been used roughly and still be just fine. Perhaps not the case with some of these smaller lighter reels? Maybe these more delicate models should be bought new.

From what I've read, the Thai models have better bearings and gears.  I dunno how true that is since I've never opened up a Japanese model, but it seems to be the general consensus.  Have a look here http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=79718

philaroman

as I understand, the earliest Thai models are same as Japanese & doubtfully better-made

later Thai models have all the little tweaks/improvements accumulated over decades of production -- hence, better

no idea how to distinguish by sight

thrasher

I've been thinking of getting an old Daiwa reel simply because I have never owned one. This looks like a very cool reel and a good place to start.