Simple Green...

Started by Alto Mare, February 22, 2016, 04:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

And then a good feel for stopping the cleaning process before issues (crap) happens.

This last part comes with experience —- and there are still the occasional screw-ups.

Best, Fred
[/quote]

Fred, like when you put that piece in that can't stay to long and the Mrs. yells and says she needs your help, hours later you remember!!! Yup, been there done that.

jtwill98

Does no one use diesel, heating oil or kerosene any more or am I the lone wolf? On a few occasions, I use gasoline outside on the gravel driveway with a brush, if I'm in a hurry or its the only duel handy. This is how my grandfather cleaned up parts for sale with his salvage yard business from the late 40s to the 80s. 

I now use dawn as well, but for heavy caked grease parts (automotive or reel), I first tend to let  them soak in diesel fuel overnight and then after a water bath, use dawn to finish the cleaning.   

foakes

A lot of the old time experienced reel guys would use kerosene —-

And I did for a couple of years along with a large recycle-type parts cleaner and screens.  But it was only for the outer shops and car parts.  It was very oily and the stench stays around forever.

So just switched to lacquer thinner.  Just as effective, and much easier for cleanup.

Still have the large parts washer.

Best,Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I could never stand the smell of kerosene, diesel or gas because it sticks around so long. I'm not too fond of mineral spirits either because of the lingering smell. At least with lacquer thinner or acetone the smell fades quickly, especially outside in the open air. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

kevin cozens

Quote from: alantani on August 18, 2023, 03:42:55 PMi used laundry detergent (sodium carbonate) and it chewed through the anodizing of a calcutta.  i ended up getting the guy a new reel.  totally my screw up. 
OOPS. We all learn by our mistakes

DougK

I have some Simple Green but use it only on large car parts, have had bad experiences with bicycle and reel parts in there.
Prefer to use a bicycle degreaser, Finish Line Citrus or similar. It doesn't attack aluminum, smells good, and doesn't leave a greasy film. Biodegradable too..