alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Handle fitting for a BeastMaster 4/0
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
April 12, 2021, 12:00:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handle fitting for a BeastMaster 4/0  (Read 1607 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
redsetta
Moderator
Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2890


Auckland, New Zealand


« on: September 13, 2020, 05:22:39 AM »

Hi all,
Thanks again to Ted (Maxed Out) for so generously parting with a couple of 6/0 Tani/Kolekar handles.
They're destined for my three Shimano BeastMasters - 4/0, 30/50 and 50/80.
One of the myriad issues I found while test fitting the 4/0 was that the press-fit handle shaft is 7mm, while the replacement handle screw is imperial and a fraction under 5mm.
Once drilled out, it was apparent that I'd need to sleeve the hole down to 5mm, so the new handle would fit tight in the blade.
The gap measured 7mm OD, 5mm ID and 4mm width.
I tried a wide array of different solutions, including turning down stainless washers and split washers, but nothing was working quite right.
I happened to test the measurements on an old Shimano Baitrunner handle shaft, and sure enough the ID and OD were spot on.
So I cut off the handle, drilled out the spindle and cut the shaft to three 4mm sleeves for the three reels:



You can see here the BeastMaster blade with the 7mm hole, sleeved down to 5mm:



Then with the imperial handle screw, about as snug as I was able to achieve:



The new handle - this one a gift from Sal from a year or two back:



Turns out the handle screw was too big to clear the lever drag, so after much grinding and customisation, here's the finished article:





Righto, hope you're all well and making the best of the circumstances.
Cheers, Justin
Logged

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer
Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group
Member
**
Online Online

Posts: 2282


« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:02:23 AM »

Good job Justin, should work good, cheers Don.
Logged

Don, or donnyboat
mhc
Sensei
Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 1100


« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 09:48:45 AM »

Good improvisation Justin, thanks for sharing some of your handiwork.

Mike
Logged

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.
redsetta
Moderator
Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2890


Auckland, New Zealand


« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 01:22:06 AM »

Hi all,
If of interest, I fitted an angular contact bearing to the right side-plate of my 4/0 recently.
It's made a huge difference with binding at high drag pressures.
I now run 15kg (~30lbs) at strike and 20kg (~40lbs) at full, with no binding whatsoever.
I've pushed it higher in testing, but my aim was 20kg at sunset with no performance compromises.
I fished it at the Three Kings and it never missed a beat, taking a 35kg (~80lb) hapuku in 300m (900ft).
I'm now replacing the right side-plate bearings in all my Beastmasters with angular contacts.
They're available through VXB in California, if looking:
Righto - all the best, Justin
Logged

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer
Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group
Member
**
Online Online

Posts: 2282


« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 12:31:34 PM »

Great info, Justin thanks cheers Don.
Logged

Don, or donnyboat
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.