Felty/Pentz Fly Reel

Started by Jason Groombridge, September 17, 2020, 03:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Groombridge

G'day,

Been a while since I posted. Hope you are all well.

I have been asked by a friend to have a look at a Felty 911 fly reel. He picked it up with a rod for a good price but it has a few issues. The spool is rubbing on the frame.

I have done some googling and it looks like these reels were designed by Anton Pentz in South Africa and manufactured/sold under licence in Australia as Felty Reels.

I really need a copy of the schematic/instructions for this reel. I have found a photo of a reel for sale with the instructions in the background of the photo. It appears that there is a procedure for setting the axial play on the reel. Unfortunately the part of the instructions I need are obscured by the reel itself in the photo.

Would anyone have one of these reels that they can send me a copy of the instructions for? Or any idea where I might find some? I think the rell may have also been known in SA as a Pentz Predator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

jurelometer

It looks like Thomas and Thomas also sold the Pentz under their name in a 567 size.  You could try contacting T&T for a scan of the instructions and schematic.

I tried a search on Anton Pentz email address and found one reference from about a year ago.  The domain is still valid, but I have no idea if the address is any good.  Will forward in a PM for you to try.

-J

Jason Groombridge

Thanks, appreciate that.

Cheers

Jason

Jason Groombridge

So I contacted Thomas and Thomas and a gentleman by the name of John Carpenter very kindly sent me the instructions for the reel and a schematic. I have attached them here if anyone else ever needs them.

A huge thankyou to John at T & T.

Cheers

Jason

Rancanfish

I thought getting fly reels working good would be a breeze because of the simplicity of the builds.  I have played 'tweek the fussy darn thing' a few times already.  I bought 50/50 new and used.

Glad you got the help needed.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.