avet sx binding issues

Started by alantani, April 05, 2009, 06:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f257/avet-binding-issue-69594.html#post520126

Quote from: markc;520110is there anything that can be done to help the binding of my avet sx 5.0:1 at high drag pressure?   it makes a sweet little light weight jigging reel but the drag too light when you keep it where the handle will turn smoothly.

yes. i am looking for a bearing with the same inside diameter and close to the same thickness, yet has a larger outside diameter. this "larger" bearing should able to support a greater axial/lateral load than the current stock bearing. i have a machine shop that will bore out the existing bearing cup, keeping everything concentric, to accomodate the larger bearing. i am hoping that we do not bore clear through the side plate. this will not be easy, or pretty, but if there is enough room it should work.

this project is 4th in line. the first project is a topless frame for the charter special 1000 and 2000. the second project is a larger housing for the anti-reverse assembly in the shimano trinidad and torium. this will allow for a double stack of anti-reverse bearings, but will require a longer inside sleeve and a longer drive shaft. the third project is a topless frame for the penn 320 gti. the avet right main side plate bearings for the sx, mx, jx, lx and hx are fourth. it will probably cost $100 to have the reel completedly serviced, including a larger bearing, full bearing service, shimmed bellevilles and greased drags. remember, we do not even know if this will work. alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishingangler

Alan have you come up with a fix for the binding issue on the older Avets?  I have a JX 6/3 with that problem. 

swordfishsteve

Hi Alan
How did you get on with this project ? as I have many Avet SX & JX reels I look after for clients and would be keen to do this modification to some if it works? cheers Swordfishsteve 

alantani

no, it never got off the ground.  basically, for the crazy price of a true angular contact bearing, you could buy a dozen standard radial bearing and just keep on replacing them.  it's sad.....   :-\

swordfishsteve

Hi ALAN
Yes I see they were a around US$120 for the angular thrust bearing from Boca, wow!, more than a new SX reel, anyway I have tried a few different suppliers here in NZ from Japan, and seems to be just some reels/users give more problems than others, anyway poor design for a otherwise great little reel, I have gone back to using original Avet bearing, picked out the bearing shield, packed it with Inox MX8 grease and get my clients to bring their reels back every year for a clean out and repack, seems to improve life of bearing , one day perhaps Avet will wake up and sort it out for us?
cheers swordfishsteve

Rancanfish

I was looking at this little reel in a shop not too long ago.

Has this issue ever been addressed by Avet?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

nope, they're still the same.