Fin Nor FR 12 fly reel

Started by Dogtooth, December 20, 2011, 11:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogtooth

G'day fella's,

Wondering if there were any salty fly fisherman on the forum that could help me with a sick FR 12 fly reel.

I'm looking for a schematical diagram if possible please.

I have recently received this reel, but there is something not quite right with the drag system.
When the drag is cranked down the spool seems to lock up making it difficult to turn the handle.

My initial thoughts were drag washers are assembled incorrectly, but not having a diagram to check, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any thoughts.

Thanks a ton.

Norcal Pescador

First thought- maybe the drag washer(s) need a bit of grease. Cal's or Shimano, doesn't matter. How many drag washers? should alternate fiber, metal, fiber, metal, etc.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

G'day Dogtooth,
It could be that the spool bearing is shot.
It may be a similar problem to a dud right-side bearing on a lever drag.
The spool bearing sits against the handle sleeve and (I believe) is binding the spool when under load.
Try replacing the bearing and let us know how you go.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

you know, i'll bet that we could upgrade this reel to greased carbon fiber!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

redsetta

Having had another look at this, I think I was a bit off the mark about bearing load...
(That said, I've seen some reviews that suggest these bearings get bound up with grit etc fairly easily.)
The drag washer should turn with the handle. The spool floats between the two, held fast by the drag preset.
There's a direct drive and anti-reverse range of FRs - the above pics being of the anti-reverse, which I assume is built into the handle.
If the spool/handle is binding, the drag washer may have been reversed, the spool bearings may be had it, or the anti-reverse mechanism may be failing.
Beyond that, I'm at a loss...  ;)
Hope the pictures are of some assistance nonetheless.
Good luck, Justin

alantani

Quote from: wallacewt on December 21, 2011, 06:58:34 AM
is that a cork washer in there

yes it is.  the fly reel market is stuck in the 1960's.  cork is considered to be the best possible drag material in the world.  anyone up fro a challenge?  we could turn the fly reel industry on it's ears! 

wallacewt

lets see
cf washer
ar dog,save the knuckles
one of clems handles and knobs
grease and oil
anything else?

1-Old-Man

I realize this is an old post but the information may do someone some good, this is not an uncommon problem.  I should also qualify my answer a little bit.  All of those photographs that you see above are my reels; the anti-reverse FR-12 is mine as is the full set of FR (Fast Retrieve) reels shown in the second photo. 

There is nothing wrong with your reel, the binding you are feeling comes from not having the handle properly aligned when putting the spool back on the reel.  It happens all the time and all of the reels, both the direct drive and the anti-reverse reels do it, even the extremely rare (13 produced) Willmington* reels do it.

If the poster still needs a copy of the blown-up parts diagram I think I can copy and convert one to a PDF file and post it somewhere it can be easily seen.  I'm not the most computer literate clown in this circus but I believe I can do that.  Oh, and I have the blow-ups for both the Florida and North Carolina reels though I have never bothered to compare the two to see if there are any differences.  I do know that there were several production runs when the reels were produced and that the spools for early reels will not interchange successfully with older reels.

Yes, I also own two of the Willmington reels, numbers 003 and 004.

redsetta

That's great info - thanks 1OM.
Nice to have found the owner of those cracker reels too.
Welcome aboard!
Cheers, Justin

Dominick

Hey 1-Old-Man:  Welcome to Alan's site.  As you can see 99% of what you read on here is about reels.  Please post the information about the fly reels.  This is the go to site for reel information.  We'll even give you credit for the photos.  They sure are some pretty good looking reels, even though I don't fly fish.  Dominick, another old man.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

Ken_D

Quote from: alantani on December 21, 2011, 05:55:41 AM
you know, i'll bet that we could upgrade this reel to greased carbon fiber!

Hi, Alan. The "Islander" reels made up here also use a cork drag washer, prepped with graphite dust, and neat's foot oil.  Folks have tried the carbon, and it fails for whatever reason.  I'll contact repair outlet up here, that's put big lever drag Penn style washers in, only to have the sport who owns the reel, demand that the cork be put back.  I'll have an answer sometime after monday. Cheers, Ken.  

PS: they totally LOVE that Penn wrench, as does the other warranty center I had one sent to.  !! kd.

Ken_D

Quote from: alantani on December 23, 2011, 08:32:37 AM
Quote from: wallacewt on December 21, 2011, 06:58:34 AM
is that a cork washer in there

yes it is.  the fly reel market is stuck in the 1960's.  cork is considered to be the best possible drag material in the world.  anyone up fro a challenge?  we could turn the fly reel industry on it's ears! 

Got my answer....fly reels usually have an aluminum spool. Carbontex's cloth is woven, and the "pips" in the weave tend to grind the aluminum away, causing the reel to chatter and stutter, as the carbon cloth loads up with aluminum frass. Cork does not grind away on the spool.

rphaler

1-old-man,

You certainly have a great collection of FR-12 reels, both DD and AR versions!  I have two of the FR-8 models (DD) and have a few questions for you.

One of the FR-8 reels I have appears to be an early Florida production run.  On the frame next to the reel seat it is engraved "MADE IN USA" and serial # "FR00010."  The reel seat is ported between the two screws that fasten the reel seat to the frame.  There is a circular backing limit line machined on the inside of the spool.  Both the spool crank handle and spool cap are wood (rosewood?).  On the frame the letters in the engraving "FIN-NOR FR 8" are filled in with black anodization.  The medium blue neoprene reel case is marked "FIN-NOR" in white letters with a leaping sailfish (also white).  In addition to the neoprene reel case, this reel also has the FR-8 leather presentation case. 

The other FR-8 reel I have appears to be a later production run (Florida?) or assembled in Wilmington, NC, from leftover parts before Fin-Nor was sold to Zebco.  There is no made in the USA or serial # stampings on the frame.  There is no circular backing limit line machined on the inside of the spool.  The reel seat is solid not ported, but there are three ported holes in the frame next to the reel seat.  The spool crank handle is black nylon and the spool cap is gold anodized aluminum.  On the frame the letters in the engraving "FIN-NOR FR 8" is not filled in with black anodization.  The dark blue neoprene case is marked " LEGENDARY TACKLE SINCE 1933, 70 Years, Fin-Nor FISHING REELS, Fin-Nor FLY REELS" in white letters.

So, is my assumption regarding the production runs of these reels correct?  I know Fin-Nor was not totally consistent in marking/stamping/engraving their fly reels, especially, their second-generation reels (post wedding cake), which were not always marked "FIN–NOR SINCE 1933," or have the model number (1,2,3,4,5), and sometimes had no markings whatsoever on the frame.

I would appreciate hearing from you.  If you would like to have photos of these FR-8 reels and cases, let me know.  Thank you.

Regards,

Richard Phaler

Email: richphaler@msn.com
Tel: 530-350-7251