How quick things can change

Started by gstours, October 06, 2020, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Last weekend i got a chance to fish a little bit for salmon, that was a non event,  so we decided to jig for halibut for a while.  As we waited maybe too long the tide started moving a bit more than ideal.  we moved to shallower water and drifted with the fairly constant breeze.
   Things were pretty much dead as the skulpins and two foot chickens were the only things that seemed awake.
Then my buddy hooks up with a flat iron jig with a pretty good fish.   At first he thinks its snagged on the bottom structure,  then it moves and becomes a fish,  i get excited as usual as now there is some hope to see the quarry.  Butt? , 
  Well you watch the clip,  and comment if you have any good advice.   Enjoy! :-\

foakes

You handled the boat as a Master, Gary —

Both you and the fish will live to meet again.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Oh no...bad weld.  Heck of a way to lose a fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Hardy Boy

Well that sucks ! I have not lost a halibut to a ball of crap but I have lost several salmon over the years that have ended up in a floating mess of seaweed ans also a tide rip full of logs and wood.

Better luck next time:

Todd
Todd

David Hall

I dont think theres anythng worse than getting caught up in sea salad and that was a huge bowl of the stuff. You entered no mans land for sure on this one Gary and odds were stacked against you from the start.  even had the ring held the odds were still against you.  I thought what you were able to do you did as well as could be expected under those circumstances.  so this one lives another day and so do you! perhaps you will meet again. Awesome to watch, I was leaning over my keyboard trying to lend a hand to pull some of the kelp out of the way but it didnt help.

gstours

Thanks for your reply,   Just a good reminder to show that stuff can happen outside of your planning.
   A few years ago up here some folks were fishing by an island up bay and their boat capsized,  the people tried to swim to shore.  One made it and was exhausted but was rescued and lived,  one person was almost to shore and got tangled in a kelp mess that drifted down on the man and he perished.   He could not free himself and lost too much time and energy.    Seems like a shame.   Only the good die young ⌛️