364 lb tuna caught off California Coast

Started by Bill B, October 07, 2020, 04:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Angler reels in rare 364-pound 'super cow' bluefin tuna in California
The fish was caught off the coast of Southern California

By Alexandra Deabler | Fox News

Fox News Flash top headlines for October 6

A fisherman landed quite an impressive catch off the coast of California last week.

Adonis Soriano was on a two-day private charter trip out of Newport Beach with 17 other anglers when he reeled in what would be his personal best: an 81-inch, 364.5-pound bluefin tuna.

The rare catch, which had a 61-inch girth, is considered a super cow because of its size, For the Win reported. Super cows weigh 300 pounds or more.

The battle for the fish was a tough one, but reportedly only lasted about an hour.

"[The fish took] long runs that almost took all the line off my reel," Soriano said to the outlet.

Charter master for Newport Beach's Davey's Locker Jeff Price told For the Win Soriano "started cranking the handle as hard as he could" to bring the fish in.

"It gets to be exhausting, but the longer you have the fish on, the higher the chance you will lose it. He did an excellent job landing this fish," Price said.

Soriano was not the only angler to put up some impressive numbers. Of the 65 bluefin tuna caught on the trip, seven weighed more than 100 pounds, four over 200 pounds, and then Soriano's weighed over 300, Price said. The super cow was the largest tuna ever caught on the Newport Landing Sportsfishing boats, according to a Facebook post.

The world record for a super cow was set in 2010 by Mike Livingston of Sunland, Calif. Lahaina News outlet reported on the massive fish, which weighed 405.2 pounds.
Alexandra Deabler is a Lifestyle writer and editor for Fox News.

Good job on that tuna.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

Wow,
How big before they are marketable in Japan? I hope this fishery hangs around.
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

lee caught a 320 on our trip.  wes hooked into one that was probably bigger but the hook pulled!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!