stories and pictures of alto mare

Started by alantani, October 11, 2020, 05:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhale1

I miss him every day.... always looked forward to his responses to questions and problems....
he was more than a "reel" guru, he was a really great person.  ;D. We should all try and be a little more like Sal!!!!
Brett

steelhead_killer

Quote from: bhale1 on January 11, 2021, 03:37:40 AM
I miss him every day.... always looked forward to his responses to questions and problems....
he was more than a "reel" guru, he was a really great person.  ;D. We should all try and be a little more like Sal!!!!
Brett

The site is not the same without him.  I stopped logging on for quite awhile after Sal passed as it was foremost on my mind when I did log on.  But, that is his legacy.  He contributed in so many ways.  Helped so many people including myself.  Years ago I used a custom SS handle he had a hand in creating and bent it on a fish.  Within a week he had sent me another but this time it was two of them spot welded together with a funny note about trying it on this one.  I still have it and the note on my desk.  Miss him.  Andy
><)))">

broschro

i had just found out on FB a bit a go that he was no longer with us. i could not believe what I was reading :'( I hope everyone is doing well,. R.I.P Sal

gatekeeper

I have been busy with work, and haven't had much time for fishing and such. I too just found out today of Sal's passing. I never met him face to face, but we did talk some, and he did built two great 9/0s for me with all the upgrades. I think he charged $25 to built each for me, and I felt his time was more valuable than that, so I threw in some extra for him. Sal was very kind and generous, and a family man for sure.  I recall being on my honeymoon in Jamaica, and emailing him about reels. He jokingly mentioned to me I should be focusing on my new wife instead of reels, and about how long he had been happily married. I can't recall how many years he said it was, but it was impressive. He sure was proud of his family, and helped me as a new husband learn some things. I can assure you Mrs. Ciarlante, that Sal was so very proud of you and his family, and shared that with myself, and likely many others. My prayers are with you and your family.

Jay

Luke 23:43  And Jesus replied, "I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise"

alantani

at some point i hope that cathy will be able to have a memorial service.  it's something that i'm sure we would all like to attend. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sdlehr

Hi guys,
I popped in after quite a while to see what was going on. I've been busy doing other things for almost two years.

I met Sal Ciarlante a few years ago while in Philly for the Penn plant tour. I talked to him a few times in the last year but feel guilty I didn't talk to him more. I tried to call his cell phone a few days ago and left a message, not knowing he was gone. Then I did a google search of his name and saw his obituary, so I came here.

Sal was a wise, generous man, with no hint of an ego that I could see. These are qualities we all desperately need more of these days, and the world is not as bright a place without him. He is missed. But, he lives on in these pages.

When I ducked out about 2 years ago he contacted me a few times trying to entice me to become active again. That's what he wanted. I'm back briefly, but don't intend to live on this site like I once did.

RIP Sal.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RowdyW

Sid, welcome back. Give me a call.       Rudy

oldmanjoe

Glad to see you still alive Sid  , man when you duck out , you duck out ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

milne

Hi Sid, great to hear from you here again...

Stories of Sal.....Hmm. I often go back to my messages, where I asked the question of Sal on a reel purchase I was keen on,,, and re read what he messaged me.  He was infectious, So vibrant in his responses, on this occasion, after reading his reply, I immediately purchased that reel, in fact, it was the Gold Accuplate, which I recently put up a post about the ice blue one I just purchased, it's stable mate...
Sal Gave me all the information about the said purchase and his personal opinion and even what he thought it was worth. He did so, in a manner which made me feel that he was also riding the purchase wave, such was his passion.
Like many, I never met Sal face to face, even though, prior to Covid rearing it's head and stopping our proposed visit and potential hook up for a coffee with Sal and Dom, my contact with him was all Via this wonderful site.
Never a truer word was said, was that the true mark of a man, is the mark he leaves when he is no longer there...

Gone, but never forgotten...

Col

Dominick

Sid, Sid.  Come back.  We missed your input.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Bill, Rudy, Joe, Col, Dominick, and everyone else -
I'm humbled that I was missed, thank you all, but this thread is about Sal and what he meant to all of us, and I'm now detracting from that - I now wish I'd made a new post first and all this was there.

Please, this is about Sal. If you want to say something to me, please send a PM.

Thanks,

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Decker

It's really great the way Cathy keeps in touch with the members. 

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on October 15, 2020, 06:17:49 PM
well, this is not a picture of him but its something that will make me remember my compadre Sal.

the nice and Shiny (for real) Altomare handle knob, I have two of his knobs, one was bought and thats pure bussiness transaction (I really liked it too), but this one for a 113h reel (his favorite reel) was a susprise, I found it inside the shipping box with a note (fool of me didnt saved the note), he sent me a complete handle assembly with that unique knob alreay installed, I inmediatly took out the power handle knob I had on my T4n1 113hxn reel and installed that new handle, now thats a handle that always starts a conversation theme.
where did get it?
how made it?
how I can get one?
how much did you paid for it?
etc, etc, etc.

thanks buddy, you were one of a kind, buen viaje !!

PS: that reel is the perfect size for my kids favorite rod I just made few months ago, the Mario Bros themed rod paired with the 113hxn t4ni kit

I already shared that story of the handle knob he sent me as gift but I found the note/letter he sent inside the envelope, I feel like its something worth to share with the ohana.

The Baja Guy

broadway

She's beauty and that's just the kind of guy Sal was...Top Shelf  to say the least!
Thanks for sharing,
Dom