Fin Nor 3 and 4 spinners question

Started by Cuttyhunker, October 12, 2020, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Are the 60's vintage Gar Woods Fin Nor spinners convertible to right hand crank? I see a plate on the right side of the body "a la" Quick, and as a lefty was wondering.
Thanks
Doomed from childhood

Midway Tommy

No. Like most of the open face spinners of that time period they were right hand (left hand wind) only. The plate is for their logo and to personalize it by engraving the owner's name, which they did regularly when requested.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood

jtwill98

I've never ran across this reel until yesterday.

Checkout more VINTAGE REEL FIN-NOR No3 pictures on Ebay, if interested.

Midway Tommy

They're a well made reel! Usually bring a healthy price, too! They're based off the Edward Small patent, as were the Ted Willams "50" series' and Holliday spinners.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jtwill98

It is definitely an interesting looking reel, one that caught my eye because of it's different look.  Great to know that they are well made.

jurelometer

Interesting.

Is the bail supposed to pick up the line on it's own, or do you use you finger to guide it toward the slot?

-J

jtwill98

Very good question.  Perhaps Tommy know the answer.

I had a look at the price last night, just under the $100 mark and climbing. 

jurelometer

That's about  $100 more than it is worth to me :D   

But it is always interesting to see these spinning reel variants.

-J

Reeltyme

The line is automatically picked up, however given the age of the reel, it seems to prefer mono over braid? I state this as a fact as I was fishing both the #3 and #4 up until this early summer. For the fishing I do I actually prefer the #3. Fantastic reels though.

Randy McConnell
Reeltyme

jurelometer

Thanks!

Also answered in this thread with instructions in the manual.  What a coincidence!

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,37222.0

So it just winds right on unless the line starts ripping out from a fish or a snag in current before you have a chance to start turning.   But to be fair, more modern  manual pickup  spinners have the same issue, and some people still prefer them. No bail flipping shut in the middle of a cast.

On this reel, I could see how a super-limp line (like braid) would be harder to pick up.  It sort of needs the line to throw a bit of a coil.

I just noticed:  three screws to hold the "bail" in place!  No idea if there are flaws in this design, but these sort of details are definitely  a sign of commitment to quality.

-J