Something new from Amazing Dave

Started by gstours, October 25, 2020, 02:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

A little while ago I got some Mail gifts from Dave's creative garage/shop.  With his permission some of his designs and work will go public here only on this forum.
  I can't thank him enough for sharing his information and experiences using his hi tech methods using a 3d printer and computer to design his patterns and even the molds for pouring lead into modern silicone.
  As you may have seen some of my octopus 🐙 jigs in the original 12 ounce mold he wanted me to try his larger persuasion in a 16 ounce size using a better silicone material for the mold.
   As time to test the jig was running out Dave sent me a finished jig as well it's shown below.

gstours

As summer was leaving us I knew that testing all his creations was not possible and we talked about that.
  So I stayed with the 12 oz octopus that were already rigged and ready, Angola fished some of my own flat style minnow jigs.   I caught more than my share of fish and some of the larger ones released as well.
  Check out Dave's secret bomb,  the torpedo 🦑 squid.  I can't wait to try it next year,  Pictures will follow.

gstours

Here's a flat minnow jig that Dave suggested to try for sure this year so I used it when the tide allowed and it got hit almost every drop the only day I could get to go.   I lost some fish that came off butt it got plenof attention,  too much actually,  and as Dave later suggested that the flash on the hooks may have loaded up the jig so fast with smaller halibut that he larger fish never had a chance to chew on it.
  We had a very good fishery here in October,   I pulled my boat out and winterized it and was fishing with friends and we had many delays and lost some of the testing days that were planned.

gstours

I hope everything works out and we can test All of these jigs and give them the time that is needed to make a fair evaluation of what works up north in our cold waters.
  Thanks again Dave for sharing with us some of your skills.     Stay safe and maybe we can meet up again.

gstours

Here's a couple of shots that paint a picture of rural Alaska.  We do have some hardship and it helps enjoy what friends I do have.   Be safe everyone and best wishes to all.

David Hall

Hardy Boy

Dave is a mad scientist for sure !! I hope to catch a few fish with his creations also. I think those minnows may be able to connect you with a salmon Gary if you give it a try!!

Jigs Away :

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks for your thoughts,  yes I think the slim jigs will catch salmon and about every thing down there.
  No pun intended.  I wish I had more time to test these this season,  as most of the jigs were finished and only needed hooks hanging on,   Butt next year I'm hoping to start with these and go for from there.
  Here's a couple more to try....

gstours

Sorry about the duplicate pictures. 

gstours

MADD or not Dave is full of knowledge and has an approach that I respect ✊.   His creations are mine to test and I've learned a lot this year and it's not over.🌚☄️⚡️
  Thanks again Dave and all for interest in my posts .  More soon.💁‍♂️

Bill B

Gary, while fishing the Sacramento River for the fall salmon run, mostly Kings, the all black minnow jigs produced some of the most violent strikes I've ever had.  We were jigging in about 25' of water. My jigs were 2 oz with a slight bow to enhance the fluttering action on the way down.  I am curious to see what they will do in your next of the world and how you will fish them...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

jurelometer

Quote from: Hardy Boy on October 25, 2020, 04:14:57 PM
Dave is a mad scientist for sure !! I hope to catch a few fish with his creations also. I think those minnows may be able to connect you with a salmon Gary if you give it a try!!

Jigs Away :

Todd

More ornery than mad:)

Looking forward to what you guys Find out.   Wish I was not such a lazy sod and got some jigs up there earlier in the season.

Gary has been an awesome  test pilot with great feedback.  One thing that I never thought about was selectivity.  In some environments it is not enough to to attract the target species of the right  size.  The lure can't be too attractive to nuisance species or runts. If you spend  too much time removing unwanted fish, then you are not helping your chances.   I am wondering whether octopus jigs, diamond jigs, Norwegian  jigs, etc. might work better by virtue of having less action,  just a nice big fat profile on a large lure.  Even if the big halibut will bite a wobbly lure better, the less wobbly lure might do better by virtue of spending more time working in the zone without a nuisance fish hanging on.

Dressing an assist hook can help to get a fish keying on small bait to bite, but I am generally not a fan.  But the proof  is in the actual live testing, which can vary a lot by location and conditions.

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on October 26, 2020, 06:12:23 AM
Gary, while fishing the Sacramento River for the fall salmon run, mostly Kings, the all black minnow
jigs produced some of the most violent strikes I've ever had.  We were jigging in about 25' of water. My jigs were 2 oz with a slight bow to enhance the fluttering action on the way down.  I am curious to see what they will do in your next of the world and how you will fish them...Bill

Generally speaking,  the more flutter on the drop, the slower the drop.  25 feet is not much, but as you know, the current can still make a huge difference.  If you want a lot of wobble but a fast drop, it is possible to  design a lure that favors a fast drop on the sink with less wobble, but more wobble on the retrieve, but sometimes it is the drop that triggers the response.   I have three different drop jig designs in 2.5 oz with varying drop/wobble profiles.  When is your season over?

-J

gstours

First Dave its your kindness and willingness to add your knowledge that makes me coming back,  and thanks again.
  Secondly our fishery is never over,  sport fishing is open year around.  The weather in the winter months keep folks at home or vacationing until it improves.  That said our halibut and cod seem to move out of the inland channels and bays to the gulf and seek deeper water at least the adults do for what ive seen.  This to me doesn't mean that all adults migrate as we have some subsistence , and commercial fishing that proves this theory during our winter...
  I do think the juveniles favor shallower water (100-600 ft) and stick around the inside passages and bays that we have year around.  Butt i,m no expert...  Just a hunch...
  I look back on dressing up assist hooks and even the rear hook with flash like earlier posted did only produce frequent and smaller fish butt when I started this jig testing I was happy,  firsty that most jigs if given the same amount of opportunity in productive water would get bit.
  Then thru time i wasn't so happy as i was spending the majority of time shaking unwanted fish.   Yes i,m now spoiled. :-\
So now im thinking our fishery here for halibut may be different that others have and now need to fine tune things for more testing.
   This year i did notice that the larger fish were caught on bait sorta traditional sit and wait halibut fishing with a chair.   So whats wrong with that you ask.  Well nothing....  I also enjoy fishing these jigs as well.  Its more tiring,  butt stirrs the pot when your fishing with friends.
  Ive got some more footage to show of my last trip this year with a big slab jig that i thought was a P Line jig the captains friend got.
     I watched thid jig that day and it was hot.  So now was it just that side of the boat?  was it just luck?  was it the size or action, or color or the jigging movements that I was humbled to witness?   It was fun and i,m back to learn... :)
  I do like the octipus jigs and they work well butt sometimes switching to a slab or minnow works soon after changing.   Soooo much to learn and life is short,  I,m paying attention now a little more,  and scratching my head more.   Its all fun.   and thanks again,   more soon.