Star Rods Fly rod

Started by Reeltyme, November 06, 2020, 01:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

Anyone know if an 8' 2pc Star Rod fly rod with the original soft/hard case is of any value? It's a 8/9 wt. in great condition. I have done the usual internet search but can't find anything referring to a fly rod by Star Rods. The guy is looking for $100. I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

happyhooker

Is there any reference to "Utica" or "H-I" on the rod?  I have heard of Horrocks-Ibbotson of Utica making Star model rods.

Frank

Reeltyme

Good Morning Frank,
No, not a HI product. The "Star Rod" brand is a high dollar rod that is very well built and highly sought after for saltwater fishing. That's just the thing, I have sold quite a few Star Rods but have never seen or heard of a fly rod made by Star Rods. I really appreciate the thought though.
Hope y'all have a great day!

thrasher

I have bought and sold many Star rods thru the years, back when their blanks were brown. I have never seen a star rod fly either but that doesn't mean anything  ;D I would love to see pics if you have them

Reeltyme

The rod isn't in my possession. I haven't decided to purchase it yet. I don't fly fish and would only be looking to turn it over.

philaroman

is it yellow glass...  lighter/brighter than what one normally calls "honey"
W&M/EC made Star trolling & other yellow Fly/Steelhead/Noodle rods
older US-made stuff has value, if it's one of those

Reeltyme

Quote from: philaroman on November 06, 2020, 08:47:11 PM
is it yellow glass...  lighter/brighter than what one normally calls "honey"
W&M/EC made Star trolling & other yellow Fly/Steelhead/Noodle rods
older US-made stuff has value, if it's one of those

It's the newer black color with the shooting star logo.

wfjord

I didn't even know Star made fly rods.  8 feet seems a bit short for an 8/9 weight.  I use an 8-ft 7wt for throwing fw bass flies fairly close in, but otherwise prefer no shorter than 8.5 and 9-ft rods for my 8 and 9-wt lines.  For my uses I'd prefer that weight rod to be at least a med-fast action, not a noodle.  Without seeing and holding it I'd be skeptical.

jurelometer

8 foot , two pieceis an unpopular configuration.  9 ft, four piece is pretty much standard now.  

A while back (90s?), there was a flurry of rods that came out in this size to allow fly rods to be used in sanctioned  conventional gear bass tournaments that had an eight foot rod length limit.  I seem to recall that once fly fishing specific bass tournaments started up,  this already small market dried up.  My guess would be that it is one of these rods.

IMHO, slightly older two piece, non super-premium graphite fly rods do not hold much value.   So this would have to be cult rod of some kind to be in any kind of demand at this price.

-J

oc1

Ask over at the fiberglass flyrodders forum.
-steve

philaroman

Cuttyhunker

What Steve says, good guys there.
I'll see you in a few days. 
Would in anyone's opinion, the Star line of rods be on a level of say the St Croix brand?
Doomed from childhood

wfjord

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on November 07, 2020, 02:52:57 PM
What Steve says, good guys there.
I'll see you in a few days. 
Would in anyone's opinion, the Star line of rods be on a level of say the St Croix brand?

This is not regarding fly rods, but that's a question I've been studying on for a while and as I have limited info, I hope others will chime in.

I've been looking at 9' med-fast, moderate power surf rods for only very occasional use and considering both brands.  St. Croix's surf line all look to be built on SCII blanks (Triumph and Mojo Surf).  Not higher up in the SC lineup of blanks, but I do have several standard Triumph non-surf spinning rods and been very satisfied with them --excellent value for the buck, never had a single problem & they've seen hard use over the years.

I've heard good things about Star and held a couple of their 9' surf rods in a local store and at least liked them enough that I wished I'd bought one before the store quit stocking them in favor of standard Penn & Daiwa combos.

Reeltyme

I am no expert on rods. I generally know a good rod from a not-so-good one. I do know that Star rods are highly sought after here in Florida. They have a tremendous following here. As for St. Croix, the name speaks for itself! Known by anyone that knows anything about fishing as one of the best rods on the market. Is there a "best" made rod, don't know, can't say. There are a LOT of very good rods on the market. I have to think it would be dealers choice!

Cuttyhunker

I hit the guys on the fiberglass fly-rodders forum and got back a bunch of ????.  One thought was the black blank may be a Harnell, if it's glass, they sold more blanks than rods.  If the rod is still in pawn I'll try to get some pics of it for that site guru's to check out.
Doomed from childhood