Out with the old, in with the new.

Started by gstours, November 18, 2020, 06:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Last year is was trying to make some lead jigs at home for bottom fish and got some good information here.  Most of my jigs don't need lots of great looking finishes so I was ok with using plaster of Paris and casting or carving the master to use in the molds.  I actually caught some fish, and the rocks caught a few jigs.   Here's an example,  yes it's crude but fairly inexpensive and within the grasp of lots of people.
   After the plaster set up the slots were sawed in each end for wire eyes, and both halve were clamped together and a sprue hole was drilled in the center.
  I would do things differently now like using clay for the sprue and putting wire eyes in he master,
Even eyes and gills could have been done.    Butt I needed to start somewhere.   
  After fishing with jigs from my molds and some from others like Dave's octopus mold and some store bought jigs my season is over.   It was great.   Fish were fooled.
  And with mentor Dave's help new masters with better details and designs are now possible using silicone for the molds.   Thanks again Dave.    More on this soon.🧜‍♂️

gstours

While this looks like a ditto, the mold process is putting clay in the box, this spaces the pattern vertically and pouring silicone over it, then when cured, turn box over, remove the clay and then pour the other half.
   The silicone is somewhat pliable when cured and is easy to remove the master,
I,m planning on completing a few molds of my designs this winter and can't thank Dave Jurelometer enough.   

gstours

Here's the reel thing,  The mold should last quite a while and it's easy to use and produces good details.
   Because of this site I've learned a lot.   Hopefully this may help others with some ideas.
Like fisss hon.🎣

oc1

Quote from: gstours on November 19, 2020, 03:52:53 PM
Hopefully this may help others with some ideas.

Wow, yeah!  I'm going to make lures out of Lego blocks.  Just my style :)
-steve

gstours

Yes i mabe did an OxyMoron with the title of this post. :o
   I started making molds out of cardboard or thin scrap wood and hot gluing as a stepping stone.   Unfortunately I didn't have Legos as a kid.
  Butt in a sandbox in the back yard I did find somethings interesting. ;)
    My mom asked me what is Hot Glue,  thinking of my nest door neighbor girl. :P   Funny now how we put our values when we get older.
          Thanks to everyone for your help and replys.  Laughing might be our best Medicine and this is nothing new? :-[

Dominick

No Gary, an oxymoron is "those are pretty ugly lures."   :D ;D :D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Ok,  if you were a fish, would you want to watch football 🏈,  maybe.  I dunno.
  Butt sit on my boat and let's see what works....  we all fish differently and love 💕 living....
Here's another idea from what has worked in the past.   It's waay better in a silicone mold...
I've not got the water displasment value yet for lead.   Butt it's a creature from my mind.....
    It's a little larger than the earlier ones I've generally fished.    Let's see what happens.🐙

gstours

It's not very hard.   Let's keep going.

gstours

No garage lockdown yet? 🧜‍♂️🎣

oc1

Those come out really nice Gary.  A fun project.
-steve

gstours

After cracking the halves open,  let's see what we halve? :D
   This is a first for me to use indexingpins.  They are t shaped on one end and are locked in it seems.
To reduce the quantity of material used the corners were canted with clay.  Overall it's exceeded the probability of the silicone accepting this much hot lead mass.   Butt it may get a few children for offsprings and that is how I'll know.   
Each half was about 300 grams of material.   The water weight of the pattern filling the mold now is 44grams includes the large sprue. 
   It's a good boredom prevention activity mainly.   Now let's do the math.
If water displacement of the octopus pattern will displace 19 grams approximately and if one cc of water equals 1 gram?  Would the lead poured jig w sprue weight be approximately 31 ounces?
   Just wondering?

oc1

Lead weighs 11.4 grams per milliliter.  11.4 g/ml x 19 ml = 217 grams.  At 28 grams per ounce that's 7.7 ounces of lead.  
-steve

gstours

;)  oops.  we may need some help here?   Its a coming,  I may take a whipping from bad information.   Butt we are learning stuff here.
      Here,s a recalculate ive done:
  The displaced water seems to be approximately 30-40 grams for time being...
  If water is approximately 1 gram per cubic centimeter
  If lead is 11.342 grams per centimeter  would 11.342 grams X 40 = 433.68 ?  If 28.34954 grams = one ounce
  dividing 453.68 by 28.34952 , would be 15.94 ounces ??
This is a recalculation and I could be still incorrect.... But its as far as I can go by now... ???
       Thanks for some more help here folks. :)

gstours

After checking a lead jig that weighed 16 ounces,  the water displacement was approx 39-40 grams. 
also I checked a 10 ounce by weight jig (432g) and its water displacement was 37-38.grams
So Now I think I have errors in my water displacement measuring????? ???    Its not rocket science :-\ right?

gstours

Thanks for any help on this conversion and calculating question.
  After trying to do some water displacement measurements it's where there is possibly errors.
      Lacking experience with this I,m learning,  for now I,m going to average several measurements and then try to calculate the  water displacement...
  There's another question in the mix.   As I have a mold that will hold water and I can fill the mold with water and weigh it.    This weight is not always close to the water displacement of the pattern/master and suspect the pattern displacement in water is the problem?
  I,m trying to use as narrow neck as practical ant fill with water from a small pitcher until slightly spilling over.   Measure this total weight, then immerse the pattern in until submerged,  remove pattern and then reweigh.   
  This to me should be close to the volume measurement of the completed mold.   Realizing that the mold has a sprue and some small pins these could be subtracted by approximation.
   Maybe I,m waay off?👎.    The mold water weight is far larger than the pattern in water displacement with my methods.    Just wondering?