Decision time. BG2500 vs SS700. Please help!

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 29, 2020, 02:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

So I knew these reels would be small. But wow. This is a seemingly brand new but well priced one that I bought as a christmas present for a friend. That I will get to practice on his before messing with my own is entirely coincidental...
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

That 's really small in the hand.  The SS700 line capacity is larger than the Diawa Mighty Mite.
-s

philaroman

pls. do a 700/850 side-by-side, when you can

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on December 22, 2020, 12:30:29 PM
pls. do a 700/850 side-by-side, when you can

Will do. In comparing schematics they seem very similar. One difference is the 850 has a line roller bearing. I'm sure there's others as well. The 850 wont arrive for a few more days but I'm already super excited.

JasonGotaProblem

So the nature of the conundrum has changed. Namely which to fish first.

Merry Christmas everyone

thrasher

Very nice, why pick one when you can have them both  ;D
You are getting a nice collection of Daiwa reels there

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on December 26, 2020, 02:45:23 PM
Very nice, why pick one when you can have them both  ;D
You are getting a nice collection of Daiwa reels there
I may need to change my user name...

philaroman

OK, you're now JasonNeedaFen   ;D ;D ;D
...or some equally prized piece of UL/L/ML vintage glass
IMHO, BEST for zero-stretch and, of course (Catch 22.0)
LEAST likely to have braid-worthy, desirable guides
so it's a DIY or sniping Project -- just the way you like it  ;)

Happy/Merry

JasonGotaProblem

Would it be cheating to get a modern one?

philaroman

apples & oranges...  premium thin-wall glass just has a different feel
closest modern "deal" would be rebuilding the 1/2-price flyrod:
https://www.fishusa.com/Fenwick-Fenglass-Fly-Rods
(just a blank of that type is >$ from Lami...  still US-made ??? )

oc1

There's certainly nothing wrong with a Fenwick.  But you'll never hear a disparaging word about a Phillipson either and they are getting harder to find:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Philipson-Fly-Rod-205-7ft/303825893545?hash=item46bd6f38a9:g:V68AAOSwiLVf5~dS
-s

philaroman

here's "a disparaging word": even w/ a missing L, LoL, that rod will get identified & bid-up
Japanese collectors LOVE PhiLLipson glass weLL above all other brands
you don't want to end up on the wrong side of THAT supply:demand equation

JasonGotaProblem

I've never understood the fly rods with spinning reels thing. Not saying everyone who does it is wrong, just saying i don't get it.

Aren't fly rods more of the slow taper super bendy variety? I definitely want a fast taper for my little fellas. I've never been a fan of the noodle rods.

Also turns out modern Fenwick is a "pure fishing" brand, leading me to suspect that $100 is just for the name when it's really just a chinese rod. Is that a correct interpretation?

philaroman

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 28, 2020, 03:14:38 PM
I've never understood the fly rods with spinning reels thing. Not saying everyone who does it is wrong, just saying i don't get it.

Aren't fly rods more of the slow taper super bendy variety? I definitely want a fast taper for my little fellas. I've never been a fan of the noodle rods.

wait 'til you hook a few pigs w/ your downsized, sporty tackle...  if you find yourself badly outgunned,
consider going more glassy/bendy/forgiving/durable, rather than heavier in power
doesn't have to be glass, per se -- if Fast/XFast high-modulus is too fragile for your application,
Mod/Fast IM-6 might be "glassy enough"...  and cheaper, though harder to find w/ good components

Also turns out modern Fenwick is a "pure fishing" brand, leading me to suspect that $100 is just for the name when it's really just a chinese rod. Is that a correct interpretation?

what else can you find new in $100 ballpark?  
PRC is just the biggest Global OEM -- EVER!  ...they make whatever they're contracted to make
half-price Clearance on high-end Chinese is among your best bets for value

philaroman

Quote from: thrasher on December 28, 2020, 04:10:16 PM
I never got the fly rod used as a spinner either but I did some speck fishing on lake Okeechobee this weekend and get it now. That super bendy is good for jigging specks with the tiny little jigs. I think I'll buy some 10'-14' Mr. Crappie rods instead but if all I had was an old fly rod I would use it for that.

don't rush -- many crappie-rod idiosyncrasies to consider (maybe start a topic)...
what kind of reels?  should have some useful info gained w/ 9', 12', 14', 16' Wally Marshall, et al
(used for anything, BUT crappie   ;D ;D ;D)