How Often to do a Total Breakdown & Clean Job on a Saltwater Reel??

Started by El Pescador, November 29, 2020, 03:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

I ask this question after I opened up a Penn 349H I purchased on eBay in 2012.
First used it for an offshore fishing week with Dominick in Cabo.

BUTT, after 8 years and over 8 trips to the saltwater, check this out.

CORROSION in the inside of the inner side rings.

Close up shots.

The Yamaha Blue Marine grease has turned, well, dark brown, rust, crud color.

I say this because the 349H reel I purchased was perfect, NO marks, no buggered screw heads, nothing, all four side rings were flawless.  So this one is on me.

I'm 3/4 the way thru this project, when I thought, I should take photos and post this on the site.

Interestingly, the dark brown-rust colored grease is ONLY in the inside of both side plates, and under both outside and inside side rings.

And the port of seawater access was the lug slot.

So I followed Fred's reel breakdown and clean except for the US cleaner.

Simple Green cut 50/50 with water, soaks the plates for 10 minutes, I do notice that SG does dull the shine on the bakelite plates, so I slather on more Yamaha Marine grease for a good soaking.

Metal parts go in a small jar of GAS - Why GAS???  Cause I can!!!!! ;D

30 minutes, so squeaky clean!!!!

I'm putting things back together, only to notice something is not right here.... Do you see it??

Rudy??

Ted??

MOmeister??

The dog spring is on backward ;D

I know, Alan is saying, "Two points against this guy!!!!"

I didn't realize this until both side plates were on and I had NO dog stop,

BUTT taking it apart to fix it I REELY buggered it up, and now I'm needing a new Dog Spring (Penn part#14-349),

For purchase or trade for parts???   Thank you.

BUTT my reel question is for you San Diego Long Rangers!!!

Mark T

Aiala

Lee

And of course, Alan,

HOW OFTEN DO EACH OF YOU do a total breakdown and regrease of your offshore reels????

After each Long Range trip???

One a year??

Or like me, after 8 years of good use :o

Inquiring minds....

Thanks All,

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mo65

I can't believe it looked that good after 8 years of use...you must have been giving it a freshwater rinse after each outing. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

El Pescador

Yes MO I did,

Each day of offshore fishing, I would walk into the shower, rod, reel and clothes and all, and there it received a freshwater rinse,

then I used a Reel-X soaked rag and did a complete wipe down of the reel and rod.

Still, why did the Yamalube turn brown/rust color????

Thanks.

Wayne

Brewcrafter

My guess would be: oxidation.  Not necessarily any of the metals in the reel oxidizing (corrosion) but the grease (or the individual components in the grease) reacting with O2 over time. - john

pjstevko

I do it once every other year whenever Fred or Alan have time  ;D

foakes

Actually, that is a good indicator that it is time for the reel to be serviced, Wayne —

Let's face it, grease in its natural formulated states does not come out blue, red, or green — that is a dye added at the factory.

In aviation maintenance — various color greases are used to indicate what type of viscosity/qualities, and exactly what types of systems the various color greases should be applied to.

With fishing reels used in the Salt — no matter how careful we are to rinse and wipe down the reels — Saltwater gets in — and mixes with the greases.

Typically, this will cause the grease over time to lighten its color and thin the grease and effectiveness somewhat.

If not addressed over a few years — temperature changes over storage time, and the continued Salt-effect will oftentimes change the color of the grease to a darker shade of rusty looking brown

This is not always bad (the grease still works, just not quite as good) because it is an indicator of time and usage.

This exterior to interior salt intrusion is true on any reel used in the Salt — generally even more often on the exterior change-out drags like your 349.

Also, the way you are cleaning is very good.  Folks ask why I clean the innards even to the point of polishing and burnishing the bridges and gears back to better than new — then re-cleaning, rinsing, multiple times — and it is because even the metals (brass, steel, etc.) will contribute to grease color changes — and that adds to premature wear and function-clunkiness.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

On some reels, 10 years and still no reservicing. I've opened up my reels to check it out but after inspection, just screw it cack together. I use Evinrude Triple Guard for all internal metal parts for protection. To thin for moveable parts, i add a but of CorrosionX and stir. It takes a good stirring before the triple guard thins down. It's really sticky and the only grease that I found to claim water repellent. I like sticky while others do not. It's hard to revise the excess and takes a bit of polishing but as a protectant, I love it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

El Pescador

Thanks All,

As of today, I'm preparing to use a chart on which reels have been worked on, by whom, what was done, photos of both stock & custom parts.

I do the same for what line I have on each reel when it was put on, number of yards, what is the lbs. test.   Staying organized helps my pea brain keep it all organized.

Wayne

mo65

Quote from: El Pescador on November 29, 2020, 07:29:03 PM
As of today, I'm preparing to use a chart on which reels have been worked on, by whom, what was done, photos of both stock & custom parts.

That's a great idea Wayne...I should probably be doing that myself. Greases changing color is always going to happen in a reel. I use a clear grease on light spinning reels, and even with the gears polished to a shine, that grease will be grey to black after a season of use. Today's great synthetic greases last much longer than the old farm grade stuff.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Quote from: El Pescador on November 29, 2020, 03:40:53 PM
purchased on eBay in 2012. First used it for an offshore fishing week with Dominick in Cabo

I suspect it would look the same now if you had just put it away and not used it again after Cabo.  It doesn't take much to "inoculate" it with saltwater and time will take care of the rest.

I seldom use grease now and my open tube of Corrosion X grease turned from an olive color to a brown color where it had been exposed to the air.

My approach is to leave well enough alone until something does not work right or sound right.  It would be great to fish with a reel forever without having to service it. 
-steve

Brendan

Per Steve I clean what was there before and go way lighter than I used to as far as grease goes. but open up and look at least annually. More with frequent use but I don't get to fish as often as I used to.
     Brendan.

Dominick

Hey Jueano. you know I have an ultrasonic cleaner, don't you?  You may borrow it anytime you do a breakdown.  I can give it up for a while every 8 years.   ;D :D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne, its a good idea to keep records, I always use plenty of Yamaha marine grease when servicing, & plenty between the rings & plates, also over the plates.
     Ay Wayne, it was on the news over here, last night, a ten year old boy caught a YTT 88Kg, it took him 3 hours to land it, his dad kept offering to take over, but the boy would not change over, if I see any picture in the paper I will send you a copy.
     reel service every other year, but if your fishing the gear very often, then maybe sooner, cheers Don. lets face it you have nothing to do & all day to do it in, know probs to you man.
Don, or donnyboat