Jason warped my brain

Started by oc1, December 01, 2020, 09:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I think it was his unbridled exuberance for scraping paint off old spinners.  Boredom is a terrible thing and here's what happened:

oc1

Self-etching automotive primer by Dupli-Color.  It chips and won't last for long.

oc1

About five minutes of removing paint was all I could stand so I just knocked off the high spots to give it some tooth.

oc1

I used to like these.

oc1

And, then there was this:

Crow

Would baking the paint harden it...make it last longer ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Quote from: Crow on December 01, 2020, 11:49:44 AM
Would baking the paint harden it...make it last longer ?
I baked it in an old toaster oven after the first and the second coat.  It was applied into fresh raw aluminum and is supposed have etching built in.

I wanted to spray it with Cerakote but can't get it shipped over here because it would have to come on a plane.  The green primer is available at the local NAPA store. 

At one point I was planning to put a top coat of Rust-Oleum appliance paint.  That too is in a rattle can and probably not very durable.  But, I'm over it now and don't really mind if it starts to look very "lived in".
-steve

oldmanjoe

Fish slime and scales works for me !! 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on December 01, 2020, 12:34:54 PM
At one point I was planning to put a top coat of Rust-Oleum appliance paint.  That too is in a rattle can and probably not very durable.  But, I'm over it now and don't really mind if it starts to look very "lived in".
-steve

You'd be surprised how well this stuff sticks Steve...especially since it's so cheap...how can you go wrong for six bucks? 8)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-Professional-Flat-Black-Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-15-oz/3729781
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

Yup. Been so long since I've had a chance at one of those. My first try took me a day and a half to finally land one. A fish that hard to catch(on Maui) deserves a kiss!, before becoming fish-cakes...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on December 01, 2020, 07:38:20 PM
Yup. Been so long since I've had a chance at one of those. My first try took me a day and a half to finally land one. A fish that hard to catch(on Maui) deserves a kiss!, before becoming fish-cakes...

the fish looks surprised for having a man wanting to kiss him.. ;D
The Baja Guy

oc1

Thanks Bryan and Gary.  I hardly ever catch anything so it was a surprise to get one in the first few minutes of using the spinner.  I would never consider eating one of the precious things.  I won't even lift them out of the water for fear of making them uncomfortable or hurting their feelings.

I forgot to mention that the bail wire was cut off and all the bail guts removed to make a crude PUM.  It works OK when the AR is turned off and the rotor can be be backed up to slip the line off the pick-up for casting.  But, when a fish picks up the jig you have to reach up under the knuckle-busting spinning handle to engage the AR again.  I'm glad nobody saw me fumbling around with it.

Thanks Mike.  I'll try that paint sometime.  I'm the guy that always says, "if you try to paint an old reel it will look like an old reel that someone tried to paint".  Proof positive on that one.
-s

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !