332-5 sloppy spool?

Started by Rickman, December 02, 2020, 08:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickman

Hola. I've had this reel for quite a while. Always Tani ized it and it's been pretty bombproof. I've been using a 2 speed fathom for the last couple years and the Newell doesn't go out as much. I just sent the fathom in for service (I tried and failed last time) so the Newell came back out. I've had three backlash mishaps where the line goes behind the spool. 30 lb mono same as I've always used on it. I haven't had it apart for a long time and don't understand why it would suddenly have this happen? The clicker is pretty much non existent now but that was pretty cheesy since I got it.
I took it apart and can't see anything wrong but the spool seems sloppy...side to side sloppy.  Any ideas?
Thanks

alantani

the gap should not be large enough for 30 pound mono to get stuck.  is it not properly centered?  the end caps should be adjustable. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rickman

Hi Alan. I've never messed with the end screws. I never had line go behind it before.

alantani

yup, not sure either why it would be a problem now.  the bearings would have to be severely damaged for the spool to no longer be centered.  just adjust the end caps and let's see.  any possibility that you have 20 pound test and not 30?  that would be a hard mistake to make, but it's at least worth asking. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rickman

I lied about the end caps. Take them off to get at the bearings. It is 30lb on there. When I "retired" it I don't remember servicing it. I'll take it apart tomorrow and check the end screws and bearings. I usually just snug the end screws up.  First time it happened I was letting a lure out behind me on the kayak and something took it leaving me the backlash from hell.

Rickman

Cleaned and put together. Made sure end screws tight and it seems good to go. much tighter now. Thanks!

oc1

Back off the end caps.  Eyeball the spool to get it centered.  You can usually tell if one side is recessed into the side plate more than the other.  Tighten the end caps until they almost touch the spool shaft.  You have it correct when there is just a tiny bit of lateral play.  You can hear it click/tick when the spool is moved left and right but can barely see is move.

If there is still a gap large enough for mono to fit then something else is wrong; like posts or frame not properly fit.
-steve

Rickman

Thanks! The spool just does a slight movement now. I can feel it move but not see it. I must have serviced it and didn't use it til I sent the fathom in. The wind has been howling and I haven't had a chance to try it out. Should be good to go though!