500s parts compatibility with usa made black side plated 500 problem

Started by Wilmar, December 03, 2020, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilmar

Hey fellas,

I am frustrated.  I wanted to half way hot-rod a later model black side plated usa made Jigmaster 500 - came with a really nice stock penn power handle, fine threaded gear sleeve.

I decided to cannibalize the stainless steel guts of a 500s I have (for whatever reason I dislike the way the 500s side plates look) and put them in the black 500.  While doing this I decided to upgrade the drag and used a stock Penn three HT100 drag upgrade kit that also comes with three stainless steel drag washers.  I reused the red fiber washer for under the main gear.  I transplanted the stainless main gear,  bridge, the pinion gear and eccentric jack from the 500s into the 500.

My problems is these 500s parts are not fitting in the side plate of the black 500.  It feels like the top of the drag stack is too high and is pushing against the black side plate - so when I assemble it the bridge can't be tightened to the side plate without binding up the gear sleeve.   And yes, the eared drag washer is seated properly.  The final keyed washer on top of drag stack is the only part of drag stack sitting proud - just like in every other jigmaster I have successfully upgraded a drag in. 

So, what do you think the problem is?  Could the black side plate be the culprit (are they not cut as deeply) or should I try this without the 500s' stainless steel bridge?  Anyone else ever had this issue?

Thanks,  Chip

Bryan Young

Hi Chip,

Could you post any photos?  I'm sorry, I'm a visual kind of diagnostician. 

Bryan

Quote from: Wilmar on December 03, 2020, 08:29:46 PM
Hey fellas,

I am frustrated.  I wanted to half way hot-rod a later model black side plated usa made Jigmaster 500 - came with a really nice stock penn power handle, fine threaded gear sleeve.

I decided to cannibalize the stainless steel guts of a 500s I have (for whatever reason I dislike the way the 500s side plates look) and put them in the black 500.  While doing this I decided to upgrade the drag and used a stock Penn three HT100 drag upgrade kit that also comes with three stainless steel drag washers.  I reused the red fiber washer for under the main gear.  I transplanted the stainless main gear,  bridge, the pinion gear and eccentric jack from the 500s into the 500.

My problems is these 500s parts are not fitting in the side plate of the black 500.  It feels like the top of the drag stack is too high and is pushing against the black side plate - so when I assemble it the bridge can't be tightened to the side plate without binding up the gear sleeve.   And yes, the eared drag washer is seated properly.  The final keyed washer on top of drag stack is the only part of drag stack sitting proud - just like in every other jigmaster I have successfully upgraded a drag in. 

So, what do you think the problem is?  Could the black side plate be the culprit (are they not cut as deeply) or should I try this without the 500s' stainless steel bridge?  Anyone else ever had this issue?

Thanks,  Chip

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

chip, i'm sure you've done this plenty of times, but please double check to make sure you do not have two drag/fiber washers under the mail gear.  that's usually the mistake that i make......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wilmar

Hey Bryan, Hey Alan,

Alan, Yeah, there is only one washer under the main gear.  I was trying to take pictures for Bryan and got to thinking there might be some slight molding differences between 500s and black 500 side plates.  I am going to play with this idea and let you all know if that is it. 

Chip

foakes

Oftentimes if a large HD spring washer is being used on top of the drag stack — between the spacer and top SS washer — there will not be enough clearance.

IF...that is the case, I just switch out the HD spring washer for a thinner stock spring washer.

It really depends on a few factors — and when switching parts from an "S" to a standard JM — depending on the year the reels were produced — these little fitment issues can show up.  This is where we learn the differences in the reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wilmar

Hey guys,

Well, I got it, sort of, working.  Turns out the bridge from the 500s was the problem, I had to grind away some material on the side plate to allow it to seat properly against the side plate - the dog has a c-clip on top of it and this seems to have caused fitment issues.  I also took Fred's advice and fiddled with the washer spring - I moved it to between the spacer and the star, that seemed to help a bit as well. 

Got to break out my old USA made dremel and do some sculpting!  I had three jigmasters broken down switching parts between reels to get it diagnosed, and wound up loosing, to the carpet gods, two teeny tiny clips that hold in the take apart screws on side plates for good measure!   

Anyway, it was not the drag stack or gear sitting too high as I initially thought.   Thought I would let you know Just in case anyone else has this problem in future. 

-Thanks for your help fellas,  Chip

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D