2062 EF Rotor Nut Removal

Started by sandbar, December 08, 2020, 07:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

Greetings from Florida
I ran into something new for me. Doing a service on a
Shakespeare 2062 and the rotor nut has a locking clip(?) on it.
What's the procedure to remove this?
Thank You for your help.
-Steve

foakes

Open end wrench to start the hex nut — then everything just comes loose.

When tightening — pay attention to the orientation of the keeper and nut as you tighten it.

You will see how it holds the nut from backing off —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Thank You Fred
Do you know if it's Right hand or Left hand thread?

sandbar

I got it Fred. It's Right hand thread.
I just did three other Shakespeare reels and they were left hand thread.
2200, 2200II and 2400DC. All made in Japan.
The 2062 is Made in USA.
-Steve

oc1

The little locking tabs are there so the nut is not vibrated loose when the rotor is turned.  Without the tabs, the nut would have to be left hand thread.  Manufacturers don't like to use left hand thread because idiots like us, with nothing better to do, will try to turn it the wrong way and ruin the machine.
-s

sandbar

If they would simply stamp a R or an L on the face of
the nut it would make it too simple😎

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sandbar on December 08, 2020, 09:21:03 PM

After awhile and many disassembly's you'll get into the habit of trying a little left first & if it doesn't come loose right away, then right. Generally it's the Italian & a some Japanese made reels that use reverse threads. Just wait until you run into a reverse thread nut & pinion and the rotor is reverse threaded, too. Those can make you scratch your head.  :)

When there's a tab like those on the Shakespeares I'll take a screwdriver & pry the tab back just enough for the nut to pass by freely. When I put it back together I pinch it back tight with pliers. If you bend them too much eventually the tab will break off.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: sandbar on December 08, 2020, 09:21:03 PM
One of the selling points of the old Meek Bluegrass 33 baitcaster was the tube reel quick take apart feature.  To help people remember how to remove the tail plate it is clearly stamped with a right facing arrow and the text "screw off" (yeah, really).  Despite that, these reels are famous for having the tail plate screwed on so tightly that it can no longer be removed.  It sort of ruins the value of a 100+ year old reel. I think we talked about it here one time.
-steve

sandbar

Thanks Tommy.
Are there any of the "Double Reverse" reels that come to mind ?

That's hilarious Steve.
Do you think they realized the double meaning and just let it fly?