Carbontex

Started by ste6168, December 08, 2020, 07:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ste6168

Sorry for the back to back threads, but I have a few reels with sticky/tore up drag washers.  Planning to go to Carbontex.  My question is a bit multipart.... 

a) Is carbontex the only player in the game for upgraded drag washers, or is there another brand I should consider?   
b) Would it be more cost effective to purchase a sheet or two of the material, and cut my own, if I have 10+ reels I wish to upgrade? 
c) If I got with a sheet, does thickness REALLY matter that much, as there are a few sheet thicknesses?

Thanks!

oc1

The beauty of having sheet to cut your own is that you can make a washer right now rather than waiting for a mail order to arrive.  The sheet is a lot more work and does not really save any money.  The better approach is to think and plan ahead and order order washers before you are ready to install them.

Thickness matters a lot.  If you do not have the right thickness then the drag stack will be the wrong height and there will be all sorts of clearance issues; either too much or too little.  You can be off a little on the washer diameter, but you cannot be off on the thickness.

The happy medium may be to order pre-cut washers, but have a small sheet of the thinnest material to use as shim if needed to adjust the height of the drag stack.

-steve

alantani

i've cut carbon fiber drag washers before.  it's a miserable task.  hated it.  sometimes you can find penn washers that will work.  usually even that is not worth the hassle.  carbontex is quick and easy!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewcrafter

Dawn at Smoothdrag is a great supporter, and you can find LOTS of sizes of washers.  I did this with a Pfluerger rebuild that I documented here.  Also, it is not difficult to take a "stock" size washer and modify it for your application, whether it is expanding the ID or reducing the OD.  But only you know your applications.  I am guessing unless you are doing a LOT of reels, you will probably be best served to not try to reinvent the wheel and work with what is available. - john

oc1

Agreed.  If your reel is not listed here:
http://smoothdrag.com/price.html

just measure the I.D., O.D. and thickness and look it up here:
http://smoothdrag.com/Carbontex_washer_sizes_Retail3-2014.pdf
-steve

ste6168

Thank you ALL!  I fish Shimano spinning reels, so I am 90% sure they are all going to be listed above.  I just need to get a tally of what I want/need, and make the order, it sounds like.   In looking at the list quickly, looks like I will only need to order about 2 different sets, quantity of 10. LOL