Crabbing on the Nasty Sea

Started by gstours, December 12, 2020, 02:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Last summer I got a chance to help some folks in my little town finish pulling Dungeness crab pots to bring back.   Knowing a little of what I was getting into I agreed to a boat ride.   The weather was predicted to be fair and the skipper was a good guy.
  The Nasty Sea is a modified aluminum herring tender forty years old or so,  from the Ketchikan area.   It was recently modified to be a landing craft style of boat that are versatile and fitted with twin outboards, a small bow picker type cabin and lots of fore deck space.
  I loaned the skipper my hydraulic honda pump motor to operate his davit since it was not being used.  I had been giving him some halibut carcases for a while and he was happy to use them for crab bait.   Perfect Recycling....
      Any way these fellas found some good crabbing in a fiord about ten miles away.   Lets see how they do, and did?     Tanks. ;)

Bill B

That's some good eating there...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

Good haul, love that boat. Rear houses ride so nice.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

Did the same thing myself today, pulled our pots anticipating commercial season starting soon and I want to be nowhere around when those boys are working.  We managed to pull 33 limits of beautiful dunginess crab off the ocean floor this season and the haul today were bigger, cleaner meatier crab than we've seen so far.

gstours

Thanks for the report Dave.....We had crab around our area closeby and then the protected sea otters multiplied .  webster said.
ex·pe·di·tious·ly
/ˌekspəˈdiSHəslē/
Learn to pronounce
adverb
with speed and efficiency.
"the directors will move expeditiously to reach a conclusion"    Like a Virus!
  We have hopes the crab will come back,  if I live to be 185 ???
This little clip is to remind me to keep hoping.    Thanks.   gst