Oddity Spotted...

Started by nelz, December 14, 2020, 10:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

This odd bird caught my eye at the flea market the other day. I guess it's kinda like a spinner version of a lever drag in a way? Anyway, looked too cheap and clunky to peak my interest beyond just taking a photo. 8)

steelfish

Quote from: nelz on December 14, 2020, 10:43:23 PM
This odd bird caught my eye at the flea market the other day. I guess it's kinda like a spinner version of a lever drag in a way? Anyway, looked too cheap and clunky to peak my interest beyond just taking a photo. 8)

pretty sure if you asked it would be sold for $5 dlls

I would have bought just to put it aside of other old and unusual reels I have at my office, 90% of them dont worth even a hamburguer but I find them cool to have them LOL, that one would be a nice addition and its a cardinal reel, well Im also an Abu fanboy.
The Baja Guy

happyhooker

Never seen one before; bet Tommy will know all about 'em (if he's not too busy digging out from his snow storm of last weekend).

Frank

Gfish

Looks like that bottom knob torques down on the spool shaft to produce drag. I mighta bought it for $5 just to see.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on December 15, 2020, 03:49:09 AM
Never seen one before; bet Tommy will know all about 'em (if he's not too busy digging out from his snow storm of last weekend).

Frank

Didn't snow that much, about 4" of wet crap that turns to slush & plugs up the snow blower chutes.  :-\

The 800 Series came out in '86. It was sort of ABU Garcia's competitor/answer to the bait runners.

The body is graphite. There are 2 adjustments for the drag system. The knob on the left side of the reel is the preset adjustment and the knob on the right is the power lever. Once you have the drag preset you also have a variable adjustment which will either add or subtract the drag. They claimed it comes in handy during a fight for quick drag adjustments. It will adjust from little drag to full drag with a turn of the power lever and later go back to the preset drag position. It was short lived & really never caught on very well.

In the photo the A/R button is missing
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nelz

So then yes, it's like a spinner version of a lever drag. The baitrunners kick into gear at a set drag, but this reel engages like a lever drag, allowing variable pressure.

Y'all got me interested in this as a novelty. I'm going back to the flea later this week. If I see it again, let's see what I can haggle it for.  ;D