Main Menu

Squidly do.

Started by gstours, December 16, 2020, 04:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As many others my thoughts are twords readying for more fishing 🎣 opportunities and of course denying some memories about the one that got away. :)
 If I can make a lure that will catch fish better in my spare time this could be considered a hobby that I can eat.   So here's another skulpy creation that just might work.
  Ya I know it's not very pretty at first.

gstours

With a little makeup it's coming to life.   This will be made as a lead casting and painted and rigged in several ways. 

gstours

The lure is a carrier for a plastic squid 🦑 body that will be used for halibut fishing.

Benni3

jurelometer

gstours

These squid body's seem quite lifelike and aren't terrible in expensive.   Butt at the market price of halibut it's a pretty good gamble.   Let's take another look.

gstours

This a quite a bit different in action from the trailer behind a lead minnow jig as it won't be  articulated butt it's more like a j hooked leadhaed that has some flaws and the trailer hooks are my time proven addition.
   I,m not sure yet how to hold the 🦑 body to the head yet?
This is not yet a casting and more body material may be added to the bottom if needed.
    Also the thing might give me problems in making a mold.   
Like me mums said, idle hands are the devils workshop.👿

MarkT

Looks like it'll work well!  You could drill a hole through and use a piece of wire to secure the squid body... or just some superglue.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SteveL

Or one of these twistlock springs like they use on swimbait hooks (just in a bigger size):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5W8YM4/

That would go in the eye near the front of your jig.   You might want to cast in a small hook or bent wire near the middle or back of the jig just the hold the squid body.  Or try a single wrap of clear self fusing tape to hold the squid in place (along with the twistlock).

Those little clear silicone hair bands are probably too small for your squid, but I double them over and use them like an o-ring on a wacky rig (lets me hook normally too, not turned like the o-ring does),

gstours

Thanks ya al,  the spring idea would allow you to change it out in the field,  butt maybe a zip tie through holes or wire near the back of the lead to keep it secure as well?
   Or possibly a hook through the body to assist on a cord?   I,m trying to shy away from a cast in jhook like this typical lead head....   
   Now we're seeing this mabee isn't worth all the messing around?   I want to try it,  and see?😏

jurelometer

In my experiments, spring style holders had the best holding power in soft plastics.  Pins with flanges that go through the side are also effective.  The worst was the barbed shafts in the style used on jig heads.    In addition to not holding well they stretch the soft plastic, so a bite can cause a split.    making a slot around the outside of the jig head to make a channel or two for a small zip tie(s) would also be an option.  Avoid trying to cast holes through the lure if you can.

For a casting lead in a solid mold, you want to have about a 10 degree minimum angle on any walls, and the part has to have smooth faces with no indentations or dimples. Otherwise the part will probably get lodged in the mold.  It is still a good idea to try to do the same for the hard silicone molds, but since the mold stretches a bit, you can get away with a lot more.

Through holes are a bit tricky from what I have heard.  You need a smooth pin that is coated in candle soot or transmission fluid, and you have to pull the pin at the right time when the lead starts to solidify, but hasn't shrunken too much from cooling.  Could be tricky in a silicone mold that cools more slowly.   Might be less headache to just use some extra eyelets instead.  It will also be a bit trickier to do a hole/pin that runs right along the parting line.

But I am liking this one overall.

-J

SteveL

Quote from: jurelometer on December 17, 2020, 04:45:43 AM

Through holes are a bit tricky from what I have heard.  You need a smooth pin that is coated in candle soot or transmission fluid, and you have to pull the pin at the right time when the lead starts to solidify, but hasn't shrunken too much from cooling.  Could be tricky in a silicone mold that cools more slowly.   Might be less headache to just use some extra eyelets instead.  It will also be a bit trickier to do a hole/pin that runs right along the parting line.

As an alternative to a hole, place a small bump on the mold which will leave a small indentation in the lead to be used to drill a hole in that location.  Casting in eyelets might be better.

jurelometer

Quote from: SteveL on December 17, 2020, 06:08:12 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on December 17, 2020, 04:45:43 AM

As an alternative to a hole, place a small bump on the mold which will leave a small indentation in the lead to be used to drill a hole in that location.  Casting in eyelets might be better.

Drilling in lead sucks.  It is really grabby. 

oc1

Those look really good Gary.  I'd be interested in some small ones like that.   I like your idea for securing it.  To protect the fancy and expensive rubber use 6" zip ties to bind it.  About five cents each to cut them off when done.  Modify the lead head with an eye or groove somewhere to accept the zip tie.
-steve

Hardy Boy

Gary: That should work just fine. The zap straps should work with a groove as mentioned; they work on skirts as my buddy zap straps all of his. I could never use that many hooks as the vast majority of our halibut spots have "hungry" bottom, that's why I use one single. Keep up the work in the lab !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd