Line spooler

Started by SteveL, December 17, 2020, 03:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

Saw this line spooler in an ad on Youtube.  Looks pretty good for spinning reels.

https://www.theanglerhut.com/products/the-line-winder%E2%84%A2-89678?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-szp9aPV7QIVf0tvBB1OvwGOEAEYASAAEgLq_vD_BwE

Timmy Horton's fishing show demonstrated spooling a spinning reel by tossing the spool of line in a buck of water and reeling fast enough to keep it at the surface.  Spool rotates as needed to alleviate line twist.

Gfish

I had that one show up in my u-tube adds the other day. Looks functional, but "plasticky".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

SteveL

It does look  "plasticky" but if it were a lightweight metal it probably would not spin so freely.   You don't need many pounds of tension when spooling a spinner, but I don't think I would spool braid on a baitcaster on it.  I also question whether braid gets enough twist to effectively spin the spool like mono does in the video.

Looks interesting, but a bucket of water is nearly free.

alantani

i have one but i only use it to take the twist out of the braid. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Is it such a good idea to take the twist out of the line?
I thought the twist applied during spooling gets unwound when casting :-\
If there is no line twist on the spool it will twist on the cast.
I.E. the line will get twisted one way or another :-\

SteveL

If spooled properly, line has little twist when it comes off a spinner spool.  If you spool it not so properly, you can see twist in the line develop between the reel and the spool of line as you are spooling it.  Even if spooled properly, lined pulled off a spinner with drag and then reeled back onto the spool generates twist.   This is why fishermen often drag 200 feet of line with no lure behind their boat to remove the twist that came either from just spooling or from lots of fishing.

mo65

I have one and it works great for spinning reels. It can't apply enough pressure for most casting reels...but does fine for the small baitcasters. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

alantani

oh, sorry, yeah.  on conventional reels, sometimes the braid gets twisted really badly.  i can spool up the twisted part onto a small spool, put in the holder and untwist the line as i slowly crank the line onto the reel.  for hollow core braid, i would normally just cut out the ends that are badly twisted and resplice on some new stuff, but it is more of a hassle with solid braid. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cuttyhunker

Freespooling the line behind the boat at slow speeds, with only the snap swivel straightens it out, works for anchor lines too with just the thimble.
Doomed from childhood