Shimano Sahara 4000 FA AntiReverse

Started by steelheadtom, December 20, 2020, 11:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelheadtom

I just finished cleaning and re-lubricating my 4000FA..runs like brand new...only problem is that the anti reverse isn't functioning..I didn't disassemble the mechanism during the cleaning, and according to the schematic, everything is where it should be..there isn't much to it...a lever, spring, a bushing/bearing and a screw....any idea what the problem might be thanks

boon

Did you lubricate the anti-reverse? The sleeve may be just slipping inside the clutch.

steelheadtom

Boon...just a drop of oil is sufficient?

philaroman

DRY -- that's the part you DON'T lube!!!

also, make sure you didn't flip the sleeve -- wide side up

boon

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Lubricants in the clutch can prevent the sleeve from gripping the cylinders, and thus stop the anti-reverse from working.

steelheadtom

So...where, or what does the Anti Reverse the engage? I can't see anything on the reel that it would lock in to

philaroman

"the sleeve" is a big steel bushing that goes on the spool shaft in the center of the A/R Assembly
it is part of the assembly -- no individual part#; sleeve, itself, may not be shown on schematic
if you remove the rotor & turn A/R off, it just falls out (possibly unexpected/unseen)
it's installed wide side up; you can grease the inside bore where it goes on the shaft, minimally
so there's not enough lube to travel to the outside rim & cylinders (one-way rollers) -- all that should be clean & dry

steelheadtom

Alright...I had the anti reverse bushing reversed..I put it back in with the wide side to the top, and the reel doesn't spin in reverse...so...is it the fact that the switch was in the wrong position when I reinstalled the bushing? If so, to which side, looking from the top of the reel is the 'off' position?

alantani

i actually use a medium weight oil like corrosion x.  it's hard.  if the AR bearing is packed with grease, it will never corrode but the grease will get in the way of the rollers and the rollers won't grab the inner tube cylinder.  if the rollers are totally dry, they will grab with the most amount of hold, but they can easily get jammed in the open position because they will get stuck.  once again they will not work.  if you use a light to medium weight oil, you will lose some holding strength, but the rollers will freely move back and forth like they are supposed to and always work. 

the last time i had to work on a small shimano spinner, i had to lube up the anti-reverse roller bearing assembly.  it was failing intermittently.  once it was drenched in corrosion x, it worked fine.  it is by no means a perfect solution, but for the guy that owned the reel, it was a good enough no-expense patch.  he knows that he will need to buy a new reel if it fails again. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

sorry, Boss -- forgot to qualify that Shimano's CLEAN & DRY instructions
are best for a F/W reel, especially if it may get dunked (often, intentionally)
almost no corrosion concerns within the lifespan of a F/W Sahara
guessing there are all sorts of additional/magnified issues inherent to frequent S/W use
that my personal reels don't encounter (various buildup and/or abrasion of inside surfaces, etc.)
otherwise, I've never had dry, CLEAN rollers jam, or stick, or hang up
conversely, have seen/had some gross, drastic failures from lube in roller bearing
albeit, unintentional globs -- rather than intentional even surface treatment

had a Sahara 1000FA w/ admittedly OVER-lubed gearbox,
sitting in the sun 'til it was too hot for my dainty hands  ::)
gave it some vigorous dunks in the tepid lake-pee above the thermocline
drove the heated, thinned excess grease into A/R & killed it
good thing med-kit IPA & Qtips are dual-purpose  ;D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelheadtom

Right now...the anti reverse is working..but, when I flip the switch to allow back reeling, the anti reverse isnstill functioning...I'm not sure, but I believe this reel is missing the steel plate that sits inside, on the bottom of the clutch assembly..the cam doesn't pick up anything, either way the lever is moved....