Main Menu

USPS

Started by thorhammer, December 27, 2020, 12:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swede 53

Until the last few months I have always had good service from USPS.Our local letter carrier was really stressed last time I talked to her.She said that the increased volume of mail plus the restraints being put on them was taking its toll.For those of us who live in rural areas it is vital.One has to remember that UPS and FedEx are not required to provide daily mail service 6 days a week to every citizen of the USA.If they were required to do this they would also be looking for help.There is no way to show a profit delivering mail daily to largely unpopulated rural America.Myself I actually avoid retailers who use FedEx because of the poor service I've had from them,so many of the packages arrived looking as if they were recovered from the county dump.UPS has been good here.

thorhammer

Ordered some parts from Mystic the other day, went out same day. This is not unusual for Mo and Scott, they are benchmark. While i get covid, low morale, politics etc etc, NONE of that can excuse the fact that the parts, typically delivering in two days, went from NJ to Miami and are on way back to me....I live twenty minutes from the exact halfway point on I-95, so my parts went by, waved, and kept on 700 miles south- and also 20 minutes from a state capital hub. No wonder everything is so backed up with these types of algorithms driving the business. Scott's has a disclaimer on the site that USPS may be up to three weeks out, not updating tracking, and having packages sit for weeks not scanned in or out.

Midway Tommy

I think what has happened is that so many people started biatching & complaining the powers to be at USPS decided they would give them something to complain about!  ::)  :D  USPS service really didn't seem all that bad until a certain group people decided to make a big deal about things.  ;) Just sayin'.  ;D   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 28, 2020, 11:39:02 PM
I just like guns. Been raised with them. Served in the Military to shoot the big ones.
Me and my Uncles and Granpa were alway doing something shooting related.
Turkey Shoots were a big favorite. It is a family tradition.
I just collect now. They only get more valuable.
I have built 8 of these the past two months.

Daron I'm a gun nut too. I have a Military M-16. I think I paid 2k for it a few years ago.

I get reels shipped to me all the time. I ship them back and have never had any problems. I do keep the boxes in the shop. They are free. Just order some at the online postal service.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

I wager that service will get better this year.  When the time comes, remind me that I said that.
-s

WeyeFisherCO

Quote from: WeyeFisherCO on December 29, 2020, 12:50:19 AM
On 12/15 I mailed 3 bill payments at the main post office before the noon pickup. One was delivered by 12/21 (in state) but as of today 12/28 the other two payments have not yet been delivered.  >:(

A few months ago I mailed 2 bill payments to the same address on the same day (for myself and my wife; I know better than to put them in the same envelope, the corporate machine is not equipped to handle that...).  One arrived safely, the other was lost.

I'm in Colorado.  USPS seems to be getting less reliable even though mail volume is down 30% in the past decade.  If this is the new normal, then I'll change to electronic bill pay for almost everything (of course that isn't fool proof either).

Both "lost" first class letters arrived 1/4/2021.  Better late than lost forever I guess....

thorhammer

Parts showed up today- that shipped from Md on Dec 14, five hours away from me. I received something else from Baltimore today that shipped 12-21.

thorhammer

just checked the Mystic order- parts actually made it to the Raleigh hub 20 minutes from me, then promptly out to the hub in Greensboro a hundred miles west. This is insane.

ReelFishingProblems

I had an order leave Charlotte 3 days ago and it's floating somewhere hopefully on the east coast, maybe we need to start driving halfway and delivering each others orders.

foakes

I can't complain about the Postal Service —

Yes, there seem to be regional slowdowns — but all packages seem to get to and from eventually.

And generally — fairly quickly, taking everything going on into consideration.

Have sent out around 40 packages in the last 6 weeks — no issues with any of them — generally 2-3 days if shipped USPS Priority.

And we live in a rural mountain area that usually takes an extra day to get from the main PO in Fresno, CA — up to our house.

Received a shipment of (11) reels this morning at 11:24 AM.  It was mailed one minute less than 48 hours ago — from a small town in rural Virginia.  

Maybe we have been lucky — but this is the norm.

OCCASIONALLY, a small slowdown issue — but never enough to get too concerned about — Priority with tracking almost always arrives sooner than later.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Did get the parts from Mo today- gonna try to upgrade my 80 Int with the carbon fiber donut this weekend. My cottage is up in the woods so some things i get delivered to the house...I'm taking inventory to see what I have everything of in one place to start putting things back together: Calcutta 400 with help from Alan, the 80, the 4400SS again with help from Alan, plus the parts that started this thread, three Mitchell 300's courtesy of Steve and Wayne, assorted jiggy leggo goings-on, rod work, etc etc, and a few Quick Micros and small Mitchell parts I'm gonna have to speak to Fred about.

foakes

Wayne shipped me a package from the Bay Area yesterday — it arrived 18 hours and 59 minutes later in my locking mailbox!

10 postal scans — San Mateo to San Francisco — San Francisco to Fresno — Fresno to Auberry — Auberry up to our mailbox, which is in a rural mountain area.  They estimated it would arrive on the 19th — guess it caught a tailwind.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

wow....they busted out the pony express!

El Pescador

Fred!!!   WOW!!!!

When I dropped the reel package off at San Mateo PO, they told me Oct. 19 for sure.

And 18 hours plus change you have it!!!!!  Cant' complain today at the USPS!!!!

Inside is a Dam Quick 330 I purchased locally on CL, seller wanted $12, how could you pass up that deal???

When we met at the local In N Out burger place, and I turned the handle, I explained to the seller NO WAY can I walk away ONLY paying $12.   This reel is worth more than $12.

Seller said, "Nope, that is not the deal", he said, $12 please, put $12 in my hand."

And I then told the seller, I see you are with your young grandson, how about if I buy him an afternoon snack here at In N Out Burger.   Grandson jumped on it,

I left with the reel, the Seller with his $12, and 13 yr. old Grandson with a 3X3 Animal Style Burger, large Fries, and a malted Chocolate shake!!!!!

Always great when all parties are satisfied with the deal.

Fred, show us all the 330 when you are done with it.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

thorhammer

Both of you gents are princes among men. I don't get out to the left coast much these days but you know I go animal style when I do....